My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a Jim Dandy and the previous owner had changed out the 14 hp to a 12 hp because he couldnt get the 14 to fire..The 14 hp doesnt have points but I thought I had read somewhere that you could drill out the plunger hole and install a plunger and points and be set to go Is this right as I would like to install the 14 hp back on

·
Registered
29 Posts
I did that with mine and it saved lots of time and money. economy points.jpg

·
Still plays with tractors
2,290 Posts
I just purchased a Jim Dandy and the previous owner had changed out the 14 hp to a 12 hp because he couldnt get the 14 to fire..The 14 hp doesnt have points but I thought I had read somewhere that you could drill out the plunger hole and install a plunger and points and be set to go Is this right as I would like to install the 14 hp back on
You can do it if you have the right block. Look at the picture that mhovey posted. You can see the little black box that covers the points (the fuel line crosses over it) in the picture. Look at your block and see if you have two tapped holes in that area. You may have to poke or scrape around depending on how dirty the block is. If you have these tapped holes, then it will be an easy job. If not, then I don't believe you will be able to do the conversion.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Here is another picture of what you are looking for. If you have those 5 holes you are good to go. I just pushed the plug for the plunger into the oil pan and fished it out through the oil drain.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is another picture of what you are looking for. If you have those 5 holes you are good to go. I just pushed the plug for the plunger into the oil pan and fished it out through the oil drain.

I have the 5 holes that you show in your pics Is there a plug there or do i need to drill thru block

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do have the 5 holes with some being tapped Is there a plug on backside to be knocked out or do I just drill a hole thru Im new as this and this is my first Jim Dandy ever..Im into pulling tractors I have 5 pulling tractors and 4 round fender john deeres and several more cubs for a total of 22 I think.
I want to restore this Jim Dandy to go with my Cub Original and the Round fender John Deere Thanks so much for the replies and Im sure Ill have more questions

·
Still plays with tractors
2,290 Posts
There should be a freeze plug (I think that's the name) in the larger hole in the middle. I drilled mine out (careful not to use a bit larger than the hole but you probably know that) but I supposed they could be punched out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i just recently did this conversion on my 1970 PK. The plug is made of brass and should just push into the block with a punch [I used a nail] That is where the plunger for the points goes. the other holes are for mounting the points and the cover.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts