My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 72 JD after a running for about 1/2hr runs rough, comes back a little by choking it, and then dies. Then it doesn't re-start. It restarts after it has cooled down. I first thought it was fuel, dirty carb, or fuel pump??? Now I'm thinking it's electric. The battery is fine, so it must be charging. Where should I look next?

it's a Kohler 14hp

Attachments

·
Registered
484 Posts
sounds like a bad coil,replace plug too.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
bad coil, its a quick easy task to change it.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a coil off my 1987 John Deere 214 which has 14 hp kohler. I replaced that thinking it was going to solve a charging problem and it didn't. Do you think they could be swapped between the jim dandy and the john deere?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I have a coil off my 1987 John Deere 214 which has 14 hp kohler. I replaced that thinking it was going to solve a charging problem and it didn't. Do you think they could be swapped between the jim dandy and the john deere?
on my 71 the coil was completely bad when i got it so i used a almost new one i had for spare engine out of a cub cadet. it worked fine. i would imagine that a deere could be swapped with a jim coil if it was the same. if not go to the auto parts store and buy a chevy coil. they are the same thing and thats what mine is. and thats what i have always gotten if i needed one.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
they are not a Chevy coil. They are internal resistor. Chevy's do not have internal resistors. The chevy coil will work, but it will cook the points over time

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
The cylender like coils? What do you mean over time? How long is that?

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
The cylender like coils? What do you mean over time? How long is that?
contact points are designed to run at 6-9 volts max. 12v running thru the points will burn them up, depends on run time, but generally they last 1/2 as long. Chevy's use a resistor wire for there points

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Oh I know what you mean now. When you said internal resistor you threw me off a bit. With more power through the points would it create a stronger spark?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Whoops, Brain slip, It's a 12 hp kohler. will the coil be that much different?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
What hp is the jim dandy? If they are both 12 they are probably the same engine. I don't see why it would be different. Just remember the one off the deere was used so it could have had problems too. My 71 has a k321 and I took the coil off a k301AS. If you still have the old one see if you can compare the numbers.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Just for the heck of it, I would replace the inline fuse holder if it has one. My PK had almost the exact problem and it turned out the ld fuse holder was heating up and killing power to the ignition system. After about 10 min. it would start up again.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The first thing I do when it quits is check the gas i.e. remove the cap. Wouldn't this release the vapor lock option?

·
Registered
585 Posts
The first thing I do when it quits is check the gas i.e. remove the cap. Wouldn't this release the vapor lock option?
ive had this prob once was the condenser, does it have points if so check them they need to be very shinny for optimal performance, before i pull plug i like to hold plug wire by head of spark plug to see how plug it comes out of the wire then i put plug in wire and check plug for spark.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I agree with the condenser. I had an issue with the condenser on my Gravely 810 which is powered with a K241. The condenser wire broke at the condenser, but it did not break the insulation, so the wire looked like it was intact. Replaced the points, condenser, and the coil and was good.

BUD

1 - 20 of 27 Posts