My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I'm waiting to hear back about the final drive parts I moved onto getting the engine to run. Changed the Oil and cleaned the carb out and hooked everything up. The carb that was on it has no markings and lets just say it needs rebuilt. So it wouldn't fire. I have the carb off of the 1968 Power King that says Walbro on it. Everything matched up except the throttle linkage is different,(so i did the throttle by hand) plus since it looked brand new I put her on the kohler 12hp engine. She fired up within about 5 seconds. My question is though is it safe to run that WalBro carb vs. the original one that was on it? I didn't think it would be a problem since the 68 powerking had a 12hp kohler and this 69 Jim Dandy has the 12hp kohler. Also how much do you think a motor that has sat for 6 years would smoke? Engine is blowing smoke but does settle down at idle. I don't want to do any damage to the engine. I could always rebuild it i guess.

·
Still plays with tractors
2,354 Posts
If they are both 12hp kohlers, then the carbs should innerchange without problem. If you can figure out how to hook the linkage up, I would say go for it. Rebuild the other one and you have a spare.

Any engine that has sat for that amount of time is bound to smoke for a while. Keep trying it and, if it doesn't clear up, then you probably just need to hone and put new rings in.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts