My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just watched an e-bay auction for a mostly complete Jenkins Head Conversion. Was thinking about bidding but after it went past $400 I relented. Ending bid was $622+.

Anyone here using one of these? I mean really using one for overall general work. Looks to be pretty much a well developed conversion, just not too sure about using one on the thin deck 6.6 hp cylinder. Read a thread from cmeyer on his trials and was just wondering. Also watched the you-tube videos about the guys restoring one.
Thanks

· Gravely1964
4,254 Posts
Just watched an e-bay auction for a mostly complete Jenkins Head Conversion. Was thinking about bidding but after it went past $400 I relented. Ending bid was $622+.

Anyone here using one of these? I mean really using one for overall general work. Looks to be pretty much a well developed conversion, just not too sure about using one on the thin deck 6.6 hp cylinder. Read a thread from cmeyer on his trials and was just wondering. Also watched the you-tube videos about the guys restoring one.
Thanks
I was also watching but once over $400 I kinda was like well who ever gets it hope they need it, or finishes a collection. Never did bid

· Registered
122 Posts
Same here, was watching, but figured someone else needed it more than me.

I've read that the Gravely Westchester was rated at 12HP using the 7.6 bottom end with a Gravely designed OHV Head.

Be interesting to see if anyone chimes in with hands on knowledge of how the Jenkins head runs.

· Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looking at how they are setup, I can see a number of leak prone areas. However, with some of the new sealants I would think you could minimize them. The pushrod tube through the intake port looks to be a real problem. Which raises an additional question; do the two pushrod tubes act as head "bolts"? If not, then I could see an issue right there. That and the fact that the oil return routes look to be minimal and you could flood the head with too much oil and have it coming out everywhere.

· Registered
548 Posts
Intersting! I had never HEARD of a Jenkins conversion before this. Then yesterday afternoon a new Gravely Gazette comes and there is a article about it there! As I said, very interesting! It seems they are also looking for new info on the patented conversion. You guys likely way more up on it than I am. Good info!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.