My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry. This may get long winded but I'm gonna try to cover my issue and what I've tried.

My '05 JD790 isn't turning over. The history is that for some time now after sitting for a bit, it has made clicking noises and sluggishly turning over. I assumed it was the 5 year old battery I had in it (it even required a jump start a few times over the last year). However, I changed the battery (just a group 24 - 800CCA battery) and now I can't get it to turn over at all. The stock battery cable was looking punky so I put a brand new cable on. I generally run 20 or 30 seconds of pre-heat before attempting to start. I hear the normal repeated clicking during the preheat cycle but when I turn it to start I ether get a single click or a few rapid ones that sound almost like a starter solenoid trying but not quite engaging. Based on this, I took a gamble and threw an entire starter at it. No change so I guess I have a spare starter now. The negative cable looks decent still but today I removed it and cleaned everything to bare metal where it connects to the frame. Back to pre-heat clicking and nothing on trying to start for several attempts (with and without my running pickup hooked up with jumper cables. Now, I get absolutely NOTHING when turning the ignition switch either way. The ignition switch is alot newer than the tractor and I pulled the dash panel and verified all the connections appear good behind the switch. I'm at a loss as to what the heck else to do other than maybe throw a 30 dollar ignition switch at it. I live where I'm ALOT of miles from a JD mechanic and don't wanna know what they'd charge to come look at this thing and I need it!

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
5,857 Posts
Welcome...Sorry, I can't help much. I would check my ground cables too.
I moved this to Compact Utility Tractor JD section....Hopefully they can help you out.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Try jumping the starter solenoid directly after verifying the brakes are set and the transmission is in neutral. I don't know if JD placed an additional starter solenoid in the system or not, but my motor home has three solenoids in the circuit. One to activate a standard Ford type solenoid which activates the solenoid on the starter. One of mine went bad and after changing an expensive Cummins starter and not correcting the problem, I started tracing the wires by disassembling the wiring harness and found the second solenoid, need less to say after changing that one, it did not correct the problem. The third solenoid and the culperate was found well hidden along the frame behind some other equipment. It was the problem and was a pistol to change.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
You mention "normal" multiple clicks during preheat. There should not be multiple clicks during preheat, only one. This makes me think low voltage, so I would replace the negative battery cable before considering ignition switch. Those ignition switches are typically very reliable. I have probably replaced hundreds of battery cables for each ignition switch replaced. Since you are now getting no response from the starter, you also may have a neutral switch on shifter or pto gone bad. Do you have a voltmeter to do any testing?

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Keep in mind for the very high current to flow to the starter, both the GND cable, and the +'tive cable need to be in good shape.... I saw lots of commentary on "checking and fixing the gnd cable"... but what about the positive cable?

one of 4 things can cause the starter to not-work:
1. Starter is broken (you already eliminated this possibility)
2. Battery is weak/dead (you already eliminated this possibility)
3. control circuit not working.... ignition key and safety interlocks
4. power cables not delivering sufficient power... both ground AND positive cables

one way to test if the starter is getting sufficient power is by jumping the starter solenoid on the starter itself. you can do that with a long, heavy screwdriver... and if you are brave enough and confident enough to do it.... Important that you dont touch the metal case of the starter as you do it..... basically you touch the scredriver shaft on the power connection on the starter, and slide it along that connection lug towards the other lug connection between the solenoid and starter motor... see picture below.
Start.png

·
9K+ Poster
12,164 Posts
I just had almost the exact thing happen with my 2210 a few weeks ago. I didn't have time to mess around with what it was (and I'm no mechanic) so sent it to my dealer who replaced the battery and ground cables, battery, and fuel shut-off solenoid. $647 later and she runs like a champ. The clicking sound is what keyed my thoughts here. Let us know how you make out. :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
If you are going to be doing your own long term vehicle (of any kind) maintenance, get, learn/understand how to use a multimeter. The DC Voltage will easily tell you where most of your problems are. Got battery voltage at the “goezinta” of ignition switch, ok, then when switch to heat or start, battery voltage on the “goezouta” wire. The switch wires are usually hard to get to, so I go to the starter solenoid/heater relay and see if the full battery voltage is there. ie. chase the voltage and find out where your losing it. A quick way to see if the ground is bad, hook the meter to the meg. battery post and tractor chassis, try to start the tractor (or any vehicle for that matter), if you get anything over - bout day 1/2 VDC, you have a bad connection or bad ground cable.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
again remember that bad-ground wire represents only 50% of the potential wiring problem. If it tests OK it does not mean that all your wiring is OK.....

The other 50% is the +'tive wire going from battery to starter directly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts