My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 425 (late model)starts easily and runs smooth and at full power when the engine is cold . However, when warmed up, it will sputter, backfire and quit. it will no longer run until the engine cools down completely.
I still have fuel pump issues with only 6.5 volts going to the pump but it works and the flow is strong. It too, though, will eventually quit and I have to wait until the tractor cools down.
I tested the time delay module and getting 12 volts from all 3 positive wires and the ground wires also check out okay.
Any suggestions?

·
Just John Deere
743 Posts
Nancy,

Even though the TDM checks OK with a meter, it still could be bad. A meter is putting a very small load on the device as compared to the running tractor. A new TDM is less that $25 and will eliminate any chance that the original causing the problem.

The TDM will eventually fail so this would give you a spare in case the original one is not the problem.

GotDeeres

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello got Deeres,

I'm first going to check for a coil problem before I look into a new TDM. I will let you know the results.

Gary

By the way that's quite a herd of Deere you have there!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Mine has a channel molded into the thread for the gas cap. I believe the "newer" models had a vent tube under the seat pan.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Few things cause issues when warm I would try narrowing it down. When it dies check for spark or spray a bit of fuel down the intake. If no spark is a ignition issue, if it starts with fuel sprayed down the intake you have a fuel issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The problem turned out to be the TDM in spite of the fact it tested okay with a volt meter. Both ignition coils and the pulsar coils were getting current but under load the ignition coils were not delivering a spark. Problem was solved when I put tension on the wires coming from the TDM to the Ignition module while I was cranking the engine. The tractor then ran perfectly for 2 hours while I mowed the lawn. Replaced the TDM and the fuel pump (pump would occasionally quit and not restart for several hours). Tractor has run flawlessly for the past month.
My 425 is a year 2000 model and does have a vented gas cap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts