My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I left my 332 outside overnight, and it wouldn't start this morning. It won't even turn over, just makes a single click. It got below freezing, into the low 20s last night. Is this normal? I don't have a block heater. The tractor started and ran fine last night. I've never tried to start it outside in the cold like that before, I always keep it in the garage which stays warmer.

Also: for block heaters, does JD still sell it or is there a generic one that works well etc?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Sounds like a weak battery to me.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That may very well be, I'll have to get it load tested. What should I be able to measure when charging, 14volts like a car would?

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
A fully charged battery should read around 12.5 VDC. With engine running at 1/2 throttle and a load such as lights on, it should 13.6 to 14.5 VDC ... Cold weather will bring on the signs of a bad battery that warm weather hides .. Don't rule out dirty cable connections ......

:fing32:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was able to start it when I got home at least, must have warmed up enough during the day to free it up. I'll be checking out the battery and connections soon. I've also read that glow plugs on relays can be much more effective.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Also: for block heaters, does JD still sell it or is there a generic one that works well etc?
John deere still sells a block heater that installs into the block that heats the antifreeze. I called the dealer last week after I discovered I could install one and they said the last one they sold was about $80. I did not install it because my 332 sits in a heated garage and if I have to I will use a magnetic heater on the oil pan. I don't like the idea of knocking one of the caps out in the side of the block.

FYI the glow plugs make night and day difference in starting. If I forget to wait for the glow plugs to heat up even if it is 80 out it won't start. I would try to cycle the glow plugs a couple of times and see if that helps.

P218

·
"The Lucky Muscle"
716 Posts
P218, accually the cap is held on with botls. No knocking anything out. The block off plate is already there. Remove that, install the new one then screw in heat element.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wonder if any other heater kits would plug into that adapter kit. $80 is pretty steep imo, but it is JD we're talking about.

·
"The Lucky Muscle"
716 Posts
You have to buy both PN's so your looking at around 140 bucks.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Zerostart makes a direct fit for the Yanmar. I was able to order it from a Carquest place and IIRC it was about $70. You do not have to buy the adapter listed in the JD kit. You do have to pop out the existing freeze plug. In my case I drilled a small hole in the plug and screwed a little eyelet to the plug. I tied a piece of wire to the eyelet before I popped out the plug. The point of the wire was to make sure I had a way to get the plug out of the block if I messed up and pushed it thru the hole trying to get it out. I was able to use a punch to twist the plug in the hole and then grabbed it with a pair of vise grips to pull it out.

Drain the coolant, remove the plug, install the heater, refill...

FWIW - FaC

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts