My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i have a few major problems i guessing maybe some of you might know ?

1 is my hydraulics seem weak and i was told that be the pump now wat would u do on there to fix that?

2. the ring gear where the starter bites in seems to be grinding got told it needs to be replaced how hard is that to do

4. the high pressure fuel pump seems to be leaking on the side of the engine wall side i cant really see where its leaking with the mirror ticking me off

5. i guessing i having diesel fuel in the engine oil as if i reve up engine it blows out of the over flow, and its not water or coolant as its not discolored nore em i loosing it, so how would i be getting fuel in the oil what be broken i guessing its fuel as nothing else could get in there right?

mike

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey Mike,

1. Before replacing anything on the hydraulics get yourself a liquid filled gauge that goes up to 5000 lbs and do some tests to find out what is actually happening. If you don't have a service manual it would probably be good to get one.

2. Replacing the ring gear requires splitting the tractor at the engine/clutch housing and removing the flywheel, cutting off the old ring gear and heating a new one up to 500 degrees F and dropping it on the flywheel. But before you do all that, check your starter to see if the armature is bent and make sure your starter drive isn't the problem. You can pull the starter out and inspect the ring gear for wear through the starter hole.

3. Not sure where 3 went :Welcome1:

4 and 5. If you have both and internal leak to the engine and an external leak, it might be time to pull the pump and have it rebuilt. The internal leak is caused by the sealing rings on the pump drive shaft failing. To find the external leak, spray the whole thing down with fast drying brake cleaner and blow it off. Might be a loose cover or could be a cracked housing.

-Leon

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey
ok so for 1 this tool where do i find one of those things? or is that just a pressure gauge and id just make a fitting? and where would i screw it onto and how would i test it? cuz i know sometimes the hoe wont get me out of places and the out riggers never push the backhoe up all the way got the thing stuck a few times had to get tow truck and what nots lol

2. my friend said it was the ring gear since when we took the starter off and replaced the small gear it didnt help plus the ring gear is all rounded off but never checked if the armature was bent how can ya tell if its slight? so basiclly if i gotta replace fly wheel gonna take me alot now why u need to heat it to 500 degreees cant it just come off? or is this like pressed on and i guess its called the ring gear right? which i thought was also the flywheel

3. ya dunno what happened to it lol

4 and 5
so if its internal leaking is that fixable by removing the pump and i got a book photo copied and it mentioned that not to loose the position or something or the timing goes out and ur screwed and that there is an inspectiong timing hole or something? so then its not a rings problem as in piston rings just the seals i guess i cant re build it myself? so then the pump is causing both leaks then for the external ill try that tommorow i know u can watch it run down and drip its not a 100% slow leak fast enough when fuel prices suck so what does a housing or a fuel pump run around costing?

mike

Hey Mike,

1. Before replacing anything on the hydraulics get yourself a liquid filled gauge that goes up to 5000 lbs and do some tests to find out what is actually happening. If you don't have a service manual it would probably be good to get one.

2. Replacing the ring gear requires splitting the tractor at the engine/clutch housing and removing the flywheel, cutting off the old ring gear and heating a new one up to 500 degrees F and dropping it on the flywheel. But before you do all that, check your starter to see if the armature is bent and make sure your starter drive isn't the problem. You can pull the starter out and inspect the ring gear for wear through the starter hole.

3. Not sure where 3 went :Welcome1:

4 and 5. If you have both and internal leak to the engine and an external leak, it might be time to pull the pump and have it rebuilt. The internal leak is caused by the sealing rings on the pump drive shaft failing. To find the external leak, spray the whole thing down with fast drying brake cleaner and blow it off. Might be a loose cover or could be a cracked housing.

-Leon

·
Registered
62 Posts
For a liquid filled pressure gauge start looking for one at auto parts stores or hardware stores, otherwise a quick search for a 5000 lb liquid filled gauge online usually returns a few results. As to where to hook it up, need to get the manual for that one. John Deere will probably have specific places to take readings from. The manual will also help you with removing/installing/timing your injector pump and splitting the tractor to remove the flywheel.

You can replace the whole flywheel but it's alot cheaper to replace just the ring gear if the flywheel is fine. The ring gear is a heat-shrink fit so to get the old one off you have to heat it between 2 teeth and hit it with a chisel. To put the new one on, you have to heat it so it expands then when you drop it on the flywheel it will shrink down and hold fast.

If your armature is bent enough to affect starting you will see it by turning the starter over and watching the drive gear. If it's wobbling all over the place chance are your armature is bent.

-Leon

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ah ok ill have to find a gauge then and i guess ill need hyrdualic hose fitted to it then i take it right? since u cant just screw it on? i dont have the book on me to check it. so then the timming of the injector pump is critical then i figured it wasnt go figure eh cuz i couldnt really understand the book when i read it.
wit hthe ring gear and fly wheel what is the fly wheel and what is the ring gear? is the one that bites the starter in to the engine? i know my friend was filing the gear on the bachohe to try to get the starter to bite into the gear but it didnt help just crrrrrrrrrr makes sounds trying to bind in and about heating it figures its gonna take a long time to do are they heavy parts when trying to drop it in or hammer it out? as i just by myself now with my father passed away last year makes things harder, figures everything breaks when 1 person leaves i might as well replace the clutch plates then too when its apart? how hard is that

mike

For a liquid filled pressure gauge start looking for one at auto parts stores or hardware stores, otherwise a quick search for a 5000 lb liquid filled gauge online usually returns a few results. As to where to hook it up, need to get the manual for that one. John Deere will probably have specific places to take readings from. The manual will also help you with removing/installing/timing your injector pump and splitting the tractor to remove the flywheel.

You can replace the whole flywheel but it's alot cheaper to replace just the ring gear if the flywheel is fine. The ring gear is a heat-shrink fit so to get the old one off you have to heat it between 2 teeth and hit it with a chisel. To put the new one on, you have to heat it so it expands then when you drop it on the flywheel it will shrink down and hold fast.

If your armature is bent enough to affect starting you will see it by turning the starter over and watching the drive gear. If it's wobbling all over the place chance are your armature is bent.

-Leon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts