My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guy's i think i have this figgured out, but i guess i'm looking for confirmation
so 2 winters now when its really cold out the tractor seems to run hot. all the rest of the year it's fine.i changed the t-stat, no difference. so now im wondering if it could be the fan clutch. ofcourse their supposed to be loose while the engine is cold. and as the engine warms up the clutch engages pulling more air thru the radiator right?
except when its this cold out maybe the clutch cant warm up soo its not pulling in air?? so my question is, it seems the clutch is doing what its supposed to, soo changing it wouldn't help, right?. what about covering both sides up between the radiatior and engine trapping more heat in there? or if anyone has any other idea's i'd really appreciate it.

thanks

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I find it hard to believe that the fan clutch is causing this. I wonder if the coolant has a low enough freezing point. I have heard of radiators freezing when the fan pulls air through it and the wind chill causes coolant to freeze in the radiator. Then the coolant won't circulate and the coolant in the block overheats. How cold does the temperature have to be before it overheats?

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
so 2 winters now when its really cold out the tractor seems to run hot. what about covering both sides up between the radiatior and engine trapping more heat in there? or if anyone has any other idea's i'd really appreciate it.thanks
I agree with jd110 you tractor is unique. Covering the screens between radiator and fuel tank will not help an over-heating problem. I would investigate if JD offers viscous fan clutch field installed clips that lock up the fan. JD installed these on my 4255 years ago to help keep it cool on 100% Texas days. I looked in 2555 parts catalog but didn't find the clips. The viscous drive isn't cheap.
L69176 DRIVE ADD 353.60 USD

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.