My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new JD 2520 with 14 hours on it and everytime I start it for the first time in the morning I get alot of white smoke from the exhaust. it lasts about 10 to 15 secounds then clears up. I checked for water in the fuel and seems to be fine. Is this normal and why does this happen. Anyone else have the same issue with the 2520.

·
Tractor Junkie
547 Posts
It is normal my 3005 does it although it doesn't seem as bad when running on road diesel rather than off road (dyed)

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
As noted Normal, mine stopped doing this around 60 hours, today you might see a puff of black/blue, I honestly do not pay attention anymore but i recall when they were new, especially the 2520, I went to the dealer twice. For whatever reason she is one cold blooded engine.

·
Central Kentucky
1,245 Posts
I get alot of white smoke from the exhaust
I guess it is all in the definition of "a lot". I see a puff of smoke with my 2320 but it doesn't last more than a second or two. If I saw a lot of white smoke, I would worry about water leaking into the cylinder head somehow. Since you only have 14 hours I'm guessing it is still covered under the warranty. Why not take her in to be checked, or maybe take a picture and show the dealer what you are seeing and see if he/she thinks it is a problem?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Does your engine crank for awhile before starting??

I get white smoke from my old ford diesel in the wintertime when it doesn't start right up. This is unburned diesel / air mixture.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yep, My father in law's ford 3930 puff a little smoke when it first fires up, but it only lasts a couple seconds, and it has over 4K hours on it...I would load it up and haul it right back to the dealer.

Matt

·
Banned
1,879 Posts
White smoke, sometimes called cold smoke, is normal on most diesels starting on cold fuel. As long as it clears in 10-15 secs I don't see a problem. Cheaper refined fuel will also enhance the condition.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
When start it are you turning your key to the on position and waiting for a little while or are you just turning the key to start and cranking? slkpk

·
Registered
277 Posts
When start it are you turning your key to the on position and waiting for a little while or are you just turning the key to start and cranking? slkpk
Didn't even think of that one...yeah the glow plugs do have to warm up. He'd probably have trouble starting it also if he was doing this.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes I do wait for the glow plugs to warmup before starting same with my jd455. I did stop at the dealer and asked they said it is normal and refered to it as cold smoke as well. This morning I started it at a low throttle and just saw a puff of black smoke same as 455. Thanks for the replys.

·
Registered
192 Posts
YUP thats what its called COLD SMOKE. Man I've seen alot of it. In farm tractors and big trucks that I drove over the last 60 yrs. Only worry if it continues for longer than a few seconds.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Like sikpk says, let it cytcle until it "clicks". My 2305 then cranks about 1/2 turn before firing & i"m using off-road deisel. Just a quick black puff and it's purring like a kitten. Protracted white smoke would bother me

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Yes I do wait for the glow plugs to warmup before starting same with my jd455. I did stop at the dealer and asked they said it is normal and refered to it as cold smoke as well. This morning I started it at a low throttle and just saw a puff of black smoke same as 455. Thanks for the replys.
2520's do not have glow plugs, this is the issue with this tractor, it has a manifold heater and there is no click like the 2305, simply wait for the light to go out but they will still smoke some on start up, as you get the hours on there is little smoke.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts