My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ancient 216 just shredded the primary drive belt and I can't figure out why. The belts are only 2 years old with average use. The secondary belt was spared and was not affected. I;m piurchasing new belgts but before I replace them I am quite ingterested if there is anything I need to look at and address. Thoughts? Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,446 Posts
My ancient 216 just shredded the primary drive belt and I can't figure out why. The belts are only 2 years old with average use. The secondary belt was spared and was not affected. I;m piurchasing new belgts but before I replace them I am quite ingterested if there is anything I need to look at and address. Thoughts? Thanks
using Deere belts?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't checked but they are the original, I do know that. I just got done removing the variator and noticed the middle sheave is quite wobbly. That would explain the speed problems I've been having.... Can I assume this was the problem for the belt shredding as well? And should I replace the motor mounts just in case? Thanks

·
Registered
730 Posts
A wobbly variator is definitely hard on the belts. Years ago I had a combine with a similar variator belt drive system, and it started going through belts at an alarming, expensive rate. I repaired the wobbly variator and my belt problem quit.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I haven't checked but they are the original, I do know that. I just got done removing the variator and noticed the middle sheave is quite wobbly. That would explain the speed problems I've been having.... Can I assume this was the problem for the belt shredding as well? And should I replace the motor mounts just in case? Thanks
If try to move the engine around, and see cracks in the mounts, then you may want to replace them. They throw the belt out of alignment and cause abnormal belt stretching. Mine need replacing soon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts