My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 4010 that is leaking out of the PTO area. Removed the 4 bolts and pulled the 540 shaft out. There is a little pin maybe about the size of a 16 penny nail in dia.--this pin is right in the middle of the PTO area. It appears it is held in by a snap ring.
Slow continous drip from that area.
Would appreciate if you could walk me thru the process.

thanks

·
Registered
595 Posts
i had a leak from the PTO shaft on my Ford, turned out to be a bad oil seal. i used my service manual to give me an idea of what attaches to what, took off some snap-rings, hammered off the PTO cover, hammered off the old oil seal, and hammered in a new one (hey, when you don't have a press, you make do...). it should be an easy process. do you have the manual?

tmm

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
You need to remove the snap ring and then remove the flat washer. You can then remove the pin. It will have an oring in a groove about halfway back the pin. Replace the oring and coat it with grease. Then reinsert the pin, washer, and snap ring. You should probably drain the oil before repair. Most of the oil will drain from the pin hole if you don't. The new oring part number is R26287.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts