My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across a John Deere 1050 that has been sitting for quite some time and then there was a freeze a hard freeze I wonder did it damage anything to the Tractor there has been no attempt to try to start it there is no water in the radiator can it be saved

· Super Moderator
17,120 Posts
Hi applejackacres63
Sky Light Tree Font Arecales

You will have to pour some liquid into the radiator and see if it comes out....if it comes out of the radiator, it can be replaced...if there was no anti freeze in the coolant it is possible that the freeze out plugs let go...that is easy to fix but if the block cracked, and that is where you observe it coming out......the engine is shot

· Registered
945 Posts
I came across a John Deere 1050 that has been sitting for quite some time and then there was a freeze a hard freeze I wonder did it damage anything to the Tractor there has been no attempt to try to start it there is no water in the radiator can it be saved
Welcome there-----We had a 1050 and it was a darn good tractor. Ours had a FEL on it that made a lot of jobs go really well. I think it would go if it had no water in the cylinders and the block has no damage. they are real tough tractors ---I wish I had it to work on and check out ---Good Luck.

· Registered
5,579 Posts
Yanmar, good engines. Are you considering purchasing this machine? Check for antifreeze in oil. Is oil above full? Pressure test the cooling system, if holds you just might have a good machine there.

Are you in an area where hard freezes are rare? If so, prior owners may have neglected the antifreeze coolant in favor of using just water, not a good idea anywhere. Get a pressure test to see what you are dealing with.

Nice machines wish I had one.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey yall...thanx for the replies,i really did'nt expect any that soon...sooo i will be checking out further this weekend[weather permitting] add water to radiator see where it leaks out,engine oil looked ok,bring a battery charger and keep finger crossed for good luck. no intention of buying from the property owner,just get it running so i can have the fun of operating it with the bush hog on it.

· Super Moderator
17,120 Posts
If you put water in it...and it does not come out, make sure you drain it ...don't leave it in or it will freeze without anti freeze in it...and that is kind of expensive to use for the leak test

· Registered
547 Posts
A JD1050 is really a Yanmar YM4300 in green JD paint. ;)

The engine uses the famous IHI turbo! Great engine. Some are 2wd and some are 4wd. It's getting somehwat harder to find replacement kinpin 4wd front axle spindle shafts and gears now. Some people just disconnect the 4WD and make it a plain 2wd. It's still a usable tractor either way.

Here's a Fredricks UTDA restored JD1050 rebuilt from the ground up.
Wheel Tire Tractor Vehicle Motor vehicle

Here's a YM4300 in Yanmar red. Same machine.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Tractor Snow

The JD1050 restored above has the aftermarket exhaust. The YM4300 has the OE exhaust.

The turbo is easy to get to and easy to maintain.

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

· Registered
5,579 Posts
Gees, if you were color blind, you'd have to look closely at the stickers to see the difference.

• Haha
Reactions: Bmaverick

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, bad news for me ...maybe...the starter is bad...motor siezed up,is there a solution you can mix up and pour down injector holes and let soak a couple days before trying a socket on the harmonic balancer nut to un sieze?

· Registered
5,579 Posts
Lots of folks say ATF mixed with acetone is a good "soaker". Others just use spray pentrants like Kroil or PB Blaster.

What are the conditions around this machine? Is the engine uncovered, exposed to rain and snow? Hood still on it? Exhaust open to rain?

Maybe you could post some pics of it as is, where is, to give an idea of the conditions where it sat for so long.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts