My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I screwed up. I was mowing off pretty deep leaves, and went over an old garden hose.. Crap, ugly noises. Everything shuts down. Removed the hose. Blades turn normally, I think. Belts in place, I think. Starts right back up. Hydraulics work fine raise lower deck etc. However, when I pull up the PTO lever, crickets. No sound what so ever. Did I totally destroy it? I’d love it if there was a breaker or some reset, but I guess that’s a pipe dream.
Anyone have this? Any help or advise is sure appreciated. I bought this X540 used this summer, it’s been an absolute pleasure to use. Cut my mowing time in half.
Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok I screwed up. I was mowing off pretty deep leaves, and went over an old garden hose.. Crap, ugly noises. Everything shuts down. Removed the hose. Blades turn normally, I think. Belts in place, I think. Starts right back up. Hydraulics work fine raise lower deck etc. However, when I pull up the PTO lever, crickets. No sound what so ever. Did I totally destroy it? I’d love it if there was a breaker or some reset, but I guess that’s a pipe dream.
Anyone have this? Any help or advise is sure appreciated. I bought this X540 used this summer, it’s been an absolute pleasure to use. Cut my mowing time in half.
Thanks,
Jeff
Also check the switch on the bottom of the brake pedal. Mine sticks in place and when depressed, nothing happens with the PTO

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I will take it apart next weekend. Does the video include getting to the PTO? And removing it to work on. I’ll look at it tonight.
thanks again,
Jeff

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update,, No issues with fuses, or wiring to PTO. Or wiring anywhere I could find. My guess is the PTO shot craps. I ended up hauling it to the local JD dealership. Asked them to just diagnose the problem. They will call me before doing anything. Hopefully it’s not too expensive to just get the problem found.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Update,, No issues with fuses, or wiring to PTO. Or wiring anywhere I could find. My guess is the PTO shot craps. I ended up hauling it to the local JD dealership. Asked them to just diagnose the problem. They will call me before doing anything. Hopefully it’s not too expensive to just get the problem found.
If they diagnose it, they may be close enough to fix it too. I doubt it would cost much more than the diagnosis. Yes, I know how much they charge per hour, but sometimes they are worth it.

Reactions: MoPops

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If they diagnose it, they may be close enough to fix it too. I doubt it would cost much more than the diagnosis. Yes, I know how much they charge per hour, but sometimes they are worth it.
I agree. I don’t know what a new PTO runs, but I’m pretty sure JD doesn’t give them away.
Thx

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I believe you need an AM141536 pto clutch @ $197.60...not bad! NOW, add diagnostic labor, removing & installing new pto, probably new belt, plus whatever JD "thinks" you should have replaced and you're prolly looking at $700-$1000... not bad, but REAL bad! Bob

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will buy and put on the PTO clutch, if it turns out that it is bad. I cannot do the $700-$1000 thing.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I'll see if I can find my receipt. My X540 had over 900 hours on it when it sheared the bolt on the PTO. They put a new PTO on it, and replaced the bolt. Labor all in was about $490. My PTO on my Snapper Pro walk behind alone was about $490. They said from the factory the PTO is rated at 400 hours. The new one was supposed to be better and rated at 800 hours. Should out last me now.

·
Premium Member
4,508 Posts
I'll see if I can find my receipt. My X540 had over 900 hours on it when it sheared the bolt on the PTO. They put a new PTO on it, and replaced the bolt. Labor all in was about $490. My PTO on my Snapper Pro walk behind alone was about $490. They said from the factory the PTO is rated at 400 hours. The new one was supposed to be better and rated at 800 hours. Should out last me now.
Make a snowblower/brush/plow attachment for it, in place of the mower deck so you use it year round and use up the pto... :cool:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update.. The JD dealer says the PTO is working fine (without the deck on.) I should have tried it.. Oh well. So, so far, no $$. I’m going to take the deck in and try it again. Who knows, maybe just bouncing around in my trailer on the way to the dealer loosened it up. Either that or the deck is messed up..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Flip the deck over and see if you have a chunk of hose caught between the blade and the deck. Or if you have a section of hose wrapped around one of the spindles. No need to pay someone else to do what you can do for yourself.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Flip the deck over and see if you have a chunk of hose caught between the blade and the deck. Or if you have a section of hose wrapped around one of the spindles. No need to pay someone else to do what you can do for yourself.
Definitely did this. Cleaned it pretty carefully. Greased the bearings, etc. Cleaned out underneath the deck, and made sure the blades turned. I didn’t have any feel for how easily they turned before I hit the hose to know if it’s different now. Seem to turn without too much resistance. The belt is new so that’s not the problem. I’ll get the deck put back on, on Monday and see how it works. Hopefully it somehow fixed itself, but that never happens to me. Ha!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Final update.. I hauled the deck up to the dealer in Palmyra MO yesterday. Put the deck back on. It works perfectly. No problem at all.
The only thing I can think of is that it was locked up somehow, but taking the deck off freed it up. Or maybe bouncing in the utility trailer on the way up there freed it up. Who knows.
I did end up with an extra part. This fell out from underneath the tractor when I took off the deck. I have no idea where it came from, so I can’t put it back. The guys at the JD dealership didn’t know either. Maybe it was what jammed up the PTO. I don’t know.
Anyone know where this goes?

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Looks exactly like what I see in the front edge of one of my mower ramps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks exactly like what I see in the front edge of one of my mower ramps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EXACTLY!! Sure enough I am missing one of the pads from beneath one of the ramps. I did have it up on the ramps earlier. It fell out from under the tractor after I took off the deck. Who knows for sure how it got there. But the x540 is working great now. Mowed leaves for an hour the other day. Ended up with zero cost. Somehow that PTO was jammed up, and somehow it’s working again.
Thanks all for the advice and help. I learned a bit more about the mower as a result.
Jeff

1 - 20 of 20 Posts