My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007, JD X300, it has been running great the last few months. I tired to start it today and it would turn over but not fire and start. Any suggestions as to how I should trouble shoot it? I am going to first test the batter and also get a new spark plug. Anything else I should do?

Thanks

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Check the battery first before anything else.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Check the battery first before anything else.
If it will spin the starter fine, it certainly has enough juice for ignition.

Personally, I say take the top of the air cleaner off, dribble a little bit of gas down the carb, PUT THE TOP BACK ON (<~~~this is important, if it backfires, you don't want it spraying flaming gas out of the carburetor), and give it a whirl.

This will take you 2 minutes at most to do. If it fires, you have a gas problem. If it doesn't, you have a spark problem. You can go from there.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It has 79 hours on it. I bought it used a few months ago. I had it checked over by the local John Deere and they said everything looks good. The one thing they did say was that the batter which is a JD 12 volt, cold crank 160 AMPS, part # AM123101, manufactured 5/07. Was not the best battery and has been know to not last that long. And was suprised that it was still working.

·
Registered
394 Posts
have you put a battery charger on it recently? Or jump started it?

JD had a problem with the electronic module that mounts under the dash. It controls the ignition and the safety interlocks.

My x300 ate 3 of them under wtty before they told me to disconnect the battery before charging it or jumping it

·
Registered
921 Posts
If you haven't changed the fuel filter you might want to at least take a look at it to see if there is anything in there clogging it up. Even if you don't see anything it's cheap enough to try a new one.

Another thing to check is the gas cap. There is little vent hole in the gas cap that very rarely can get clogged and stop the flow of gas. Might want to try starting it with the gass cap off or just resting on the top of the spout.

Which dealer did you bring it to?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took the battery out and charged it and got a new spark plug and it fired right up! Thanks everyone for you input! Guess that means I have to mow the lawn now.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Good job getting the tractor going. **** shame that you have to mow now! Maybe you can use your headlights.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts