My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang,

I'm down to these two (I can't stomach the price of a Broadmoor and I don't need the 48" deck on the X320).

Can somebody give me anything to lean me one way or the other?

Pros Deere:

Kawa Engine
Heavier Frame
4 year warranty
CLOSE dealer
Better tires

Pros Regent:
Cheaper
Easier saftey override for reverse mowing
Free float deck is supposed to be the best

The Regent comes w/ a 18HP VTwin Briggs ELS - I know its not as good as the Kawa but is it a decent 15 year motor? Mind you, I mow 40-50 hours per year tops.

Both have the same transmission, so that's a wash.

Thanks !

·
Registered
179 Posts
You mention the Deere dealer is "close". How far away is the Simplicity dealer?

Distance has been the main negative with my Broadmoor. To get blades or have repairs (as examples) I have to drive about 80 miles round trip. That is a BIG reason I have been toying with the idea of trading mine.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You mention the Deere dealer is "close". How far away is the Simplicity dealer?

Distance has been the main negative with my Broadmoor. To get blades or have repairs (as examples) I have to drive about 80 miles round trip. That is a BIG reason I have been toying with the idea of trading mine.
Deere dealer is 5 minutes from the house. Simplicity dealer is 25 mins. Sure, Deere is more conveniant by far, but the Simplicity dealer is certainly reasonable.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Deere dealer is 5 minutes from the house. Simplicity dealer is 25 mins. Sure, Deere is more conveniant by far, but the Simplicity dealer is certainly reasonable.
Good. Distance is not a problem for you, then. Have you considered asking either or both dealers to bring one to your place to try out on your property? See which is more comfortable for you, and which navigates your yard easier. Sometimes turning radius isn't as important as it might seem on paper.

I think I remember reading you having said you only mow about half an acre. Is that right? Either should work for you.

You know what? If I were you, I'd ask the mrs. what her favorite color between green and orange.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good. Distance is not a problem for you, then. Have you considered asking either or both dealers to bring one to your place to try out on your property?
No, but I HAVE test driven both. I really only need the 18/38 Regent - I'm sure it would do a great job when compared to my 28 Snapper RER. I'm just afraid of the Briggs engine, though I don't know that its warranted.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Who's making Simplicity machines today? The Simplicity factory in Port Washington, Wisconsin (3 miles from me) has been closed down for some time. I believe that was the Simplicity headquarters at the time, but could be mistaken.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Decided to go w/ the Deere X300. Delivery on Friday !

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good choice! I just got one (Used, though), and I love it!

Enjoy your new ride.
Thank you !!!! I feel very content that I made a good choice based on what I wanted to spend.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Congrats! I bought a used X300 recently and have been very pleased with it. Did you order it with the mulching deck? Mine has it and I love it. Grass clippings and and leaves completely disappear. Just have to be really carefull with rocks though as they will bang around in the deck for a bit before making their way out the back.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Congrats! I bought a used X300 recently and have been very pleased with it. Did you order it with the mulching deck? Mine has it and I love it. Grass clippings and and leaves completely disappear. Just have to be really carefull with rocks though as they will bang around in the deck for a bit before making their way out the back.
Yep, I got it w/ the dedicated mulching deck. He had 3 still in the crate so I'm getting her on Friday. :)

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
I like the Regent more myself, doesnt have a weak point, and the cut is 2nd to none.

The strong points are the soft hydro pedals, and the fact it takes about 20 seconds to remove the mower deck and not more than a minute to put it back on. The metal hood resists cracking and fade. The frame is strong and simple, we've never ever had a frame related problem on a Regent.

Here is how the ownership works out..

Simplicty Z mowers are made by Ferris, same with Snapper PRO Z mowers, and Massey Z mowers.

Simplicity Mfg. makes all their own riders, as well as the larger Snappers, Allis Chalmers AC-130, Massey-Ferguson Riders, etc..

Briggs and Stratton owns Simplicity, Ferris, Snapper, Allic Chalmers, Massey Ferguson, and recently..Murray although Murray is kept seperate of all brands except for a crossover on snapper model.

So you know the parent company is here to stay, and getting parts is a snap.

The ELS V-twin will be the new model with the large oval air filter, good engine, smooth and quiet, dependable starts and good on gas. We never had problems with the Intek and ELS engines besides the air filtration problems with the early flat panel models a few years back.

The Regent, to me, is an easier mower to use, and can navigate tight quarters...will never be at a loss for power, and service parts for the briggs are easy to get and inexpensive.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like the Regent more myself, doesnt have a weak point, and the cut is 2nd to none.

The strong points are the soft hydro pedals, and the fact it takes about 20 seconds to remove the mower deck and not more than a minute to put it back on. The metal hood resists cracking and fade. The frame is strong and simple, we've never ever had a frame related problem on a Regent.

Here is how the ownership works out..

Simplicty Z mowers are made by Ferris, same with Snapper PRO Z mowers, and Massey Z mowers.

Simplicity Mfg. makes all their own riders, as well as the larger Snappers, Allis Chalmers AC-130, Massey-Ferguson Riders, etc..

Briggs and Stratton owns Simplicity, Ferris, Snapper, Allic Chalmers, Massey Ferguson, and recently..Murray although Murray is kept seperate of all brands except for a crossover on snapper model.

So you know the parent company is here to stay, and getting parts is a snap.

The ELS V-twin will be the new model with the large oval air filter, good engine, smooth and quiet, dependable starts and good on gas. We never had problems with the Intek and ELS engines besides the air filtration problems with the early flat panel models a few years back.

The Regent, to me, is an easier mower to use, and can navigate tight quarters...will never be at a loss for power, and service parts for the briggs are easy to get and inexpensive.
I would agree completely. The price diff w/ trade between the Regent 22/44 and the X300 mulcher was only 250+ bucks - if the spread were appreciably more I would have settled on the Regent w/ no regrets at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts