My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post! I bought a used x300 with 280 hrs on it and now it decides to intermittently stay running while the ignition is turned to STOP? I also noticed some fuel coming out of carb? Don't have a manual and every search I do is related to it not starting instead of not stopping lol! pulling my hair out as I've disconnected and reconnected pretty much every wire there is and it keeps running!!!! I either close the choke and cover carb intake or remove spark plug wires to shut it down/ Can someone please give me a direction to work on as the only wiring diagram I downloaded was the wrong one. Please help

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Probably has a bad computer module under the dash OR there is a bad connection between it and the magneto kill wire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
There are two ways the X300 shuts down normally, the fuel shut off solenoid and the Magento kill wire. They are both controlled by the ECU/TDM.

I would fine the (typically) white wire that goes under the shroud and to both coils and make sure it is connected.

Most likely, it is the ECU that is bad. That is probably $100, so expensive to replace if it is not the problem.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The wires going to the coils are connected and if I disconnect while running..... it still keeps running! One wire goes to the coils and the other powers the fuel solenoid on the bottom of the carb but shouldn't the engine shut down when the wire is disconnected to coils?

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
No, the coils wire is a "kill" wire. Ground it and the engine should stop running, since it will no longer get spark.

The fuel solenoid is an automatic cutoff. So, if you remove the wire from it, it should cut off fuel supply. But, sometimes people cut the tip off, to solve/troubleshoot a no start issue.

If removing the fuel solenoid wire causes the engine to shut down and/or grounding the wire to the coils causes the engine to shut down, that points a strong finger to the ECU module.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will be grounding the coil wire tomorrow to see if it dies which it should (didn't try that today) when this started today, I also noticed excess fuel coming out of the carburetor. Thanks for the advice and I'll update tomorrow

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE:
I just started it and grounded the coil terminal and it shut down right away

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
That means either the wire isn't connected to the computer (ECU) or the computer is not doing its job. Check connections first. If it still doesn't shut off, you probably need a new ECU.

Will it start with the brake off?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I would like to point out that, if you disconnect the power wire to toe fuel solenoid while running, it will take a few seconds to run out of fuel. Mine was like 10 seconds until it died.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would like to point out that, if you disconnect the power wire to toe fuel solenoid while running, it will take a few seconds to run out of fuel. Mine was like 10 seconds until it died.

I think Frogmore pointed out earlier that some people cut the tips off so in my case, I believe the previous owner did this as when i disconnect power wire going to fuel solenoid, the machine continues to run even though I still hear the solenoid click when the key is turned on.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I think Frogmore pointed out earlier that some people cut the tips off so in my case, I believe the previous owner did this as when i disconnect power wire going to fuel solenoid, the machine continues to run even though I still hear the solenoid click when the key is turned on.
How long did you wait after disconnecting the fuel solenoid wire?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That means either the wire isn't connected to the computer (ECU) or the computer is not doing its job. Check connections first. If it still doesn't shut off, you probably need a new ECU.

It does not even turn over with brake off

and I have continuity going to one of the pins on the ECU from black wire going to coils.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are you sure it was the fuel solenoid wire then?

if it’s the wire that runs alongside the kill wire for coils and goes to bottom of carb under float bowl, then yes. Like I said earlier I understand some guys grind the down to eliminate?

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
I would say you seem to have done enough troubleshooting to say it really sounds like the ECU is not activating the kill wire. That probably means the ECU is bad.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I would say you seem to have done enough troubleshooting to say it really sounds like the ECU is not activating the kill wire. That probably means the ECU is bad.
thanks guys so much for the input, you steered me in right direction as I was originally looking for ground wires that I assumed the stop switch went directly to ground? Way to easy that way! Instead of going through an expensive $160 module up here in Canada! Anyways, thank you!

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
I suppose you could wire up a kill switch if the ECU is doing everything else you need. It might work okay for awhile longer.

Probably not a good long term solution.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I suppose you could wire up a kill switch if the ECU is doing everything else you need. It might work okay for awhile longer.

Probably not a good long term solution.
That's what I would do. With the intent of fixing in the near future. But, when my solenoid died, I clipped the tip off with the intent of just getting through the week end. That was over ten years ago, and it's still running fine, so I never fixed it properly. As my Dad would say, "Do as I say, not as I do". I'd recommend the proper fix eventually, the kill switch just temp.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts