My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, this is my first post/question on this forum, and I'm excited to read member opinions.... so here goes :)

What is the life expectancy of my JD X300??

I realize that many factors contribute to the total number of hours I will get out of my machine, so I'll provide a few details below.

I bought it brand new 6 years ago.
I use it almost exclusively for cutting my lawn.
It has 415 hours on it.
On a scale of 1 - 10, with 1 being a smooth flat lawn, and 10 being a crazy/hilly bumpy ride, my property is about a 6 or 7.

I do baby my machine once it's in the garage, (regular oil changes/deck scraping/clean filters/grease/blade sharpening.... I even blow the machine off with my backpack blower in side and out on a regular basis)

With all of the above in mind... am I reaching the end of it's life? Is there trouble ahead? On average, how many hours does the regular homeowner get out of an X300?

Thanks

Other than a small tear in the seat, it looks and run likes its brand new, and I love it!

·
Another Day in Paradis...
1,862 Posts
IMHO, the K46 transaxle is the weak point in an X300. From Tuff Torq's description it is "optimized for rear engine riders lawn tractors and small front deck mowers". Heat is its enemy, and heat is generated by working it hard - i.e. mowing hilly property or pulling very heavy loads.

The fact that you maintain it regularly is a definite plus. Maybe someone here will get their crystal ball out and be able to give you its life expectancy.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Who knows. I've seen guys mow with a old Murray for 20 years. Your X300 is certainly a better machine than those were IMO. I'd enjoy it and not put much thought into it. At 400 some hours I'd say you got a long way to go yet

·
Junior weed whacker
198 Posts
Treat it well (it sounds like you do) and it SHOULD treat you well.

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,432 Posts
At 400 hours I'd say you have plenty of life left in it since you maintain it. If you're concerned about the transmission, search for and read up on changing the oil in the K46. Switching to 5W50 oil (or at least putting in fresh) should greatly increase the life of the transmission if you don't have any issues with it.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Make sure the trans is clean on the outside, and that the fan is in tact and working properly. Do the fluid change. During the hottest time of year mow the hills in the early morning or late evening and mow that area first, before the oil temp climbs.
Anything to reduce heat buildup in the trans will make it go further.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
If your tranny goes out you can repair for relatively little money . It is also possible to upgrade it to K57 specs. It's not like you have a $200 Murray that needs $400 to $600 in repairs to be functional.

Edit-definitely change the trans oil.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Attempting my first picture upload here. Not sure if it will work, and if it does, will it be tiny or huge.... I guess we'll find out.

Thank you so much for the replies I've gotten thus far. Certainly some good things from you guys to consider.

An additional wrinkle to my original question..... I forgot to mention that I often treat my X300 like a zero turn, as I love the striped look on my lawn. I often wonder how much additional wear and tear I'm putting on my machine with all of those 3 point turns I do at the end of each row.

So, as you can see, it's not all straight line driving. Some of you might laugh at the amount I mow with a 42 inch cut, but I made my JD purchase just before I mowed into my current home.

Attachments

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,432 Posts
The transmission is hydrostatic, same load on the transmission to go in reverse as to go forward. Unless your ground speed is slowing down when the transmission warms up then you are ok. You're no longer under JD's warranty, I would follow the advice of the transmission manufacturer (Tuff Torq) and change the trans oil.

If you want a larger mower deck the 48" should fit under your X300. Nice place you have there!

·
Registered
340 Posts
It is not bad, I mow a larger yard with a 36" Yamaha, just more seat time. Nice job is keeping the lines so straight.

I agree changing the hydro oil is a good thing. I changed both the hydro and differential oil on my Yamaha this weekend, took a couple hours but it definitely runs smoother and less hydro whine. It is the first change in almost 21 years, I decided to change it based on what I learned in the MTF forums. I plan to do the same on my X320 when the warranty expires in another 18 months.

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Junior weed whacker
198 Posts
Attempting my first picture upload here.

So, as you can see, it's not all straight line driving. Some of you might laugh at the amount I mow with a 42 inch cut, but I made my JD purchase just before I mowed into my current home.
Nice yard. Great work on the rider.

Okay, not to some serious stuff.

What's the cement truck doing there, putting a new slab down for another garage? ;)

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Maintaining the machine is the key, i'm still trying to find the life expectancy on my 95 model GT 242, no hour meter, has to be a lot though being i mow 2 acres with it.
:MTF_wel:

Ronnie

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good to hear that I can expect more time out of my machine. I heard a few other opinions from people around that scared me into thinking that my machine was beyond its life expectancy. I do hear a hydro whine, and now I'm wondering if it's louder this year than in years past. I plan on continuing to take great care of my x300, and taking the suggestions made here in the forum. Mowing the hilly parts earlier is a good call. I often divide up my mowing into sections with a break in between, so the machine doesn't get too hot

As far as the photo, that's just part of my lawn, and pretty much the smoothest section as well, there are some hills and trees I navigate along the side, and the back can get a little bumpy. Like I said, I love the green white green white look, and don't mind the extra time it takes to create that effect. Yes, that's a new slab getting installed in the back ground, I figured the guys would grow tired of me hovering over them, so I jumped on the front lawn, and halfway through, took the photo.

Call me crazy, but I don't mind the time it takes to mow the property...(2hrs) I enjoy the seat time.

Thanks again guys for the response.

·
Another Day in Paradis...
1,862 Posts
Treat it well (it sounds like you do) and it SHOULD treat you well.
There are two parts to longevity in a LT. Maintaining it per manufacturer's recommendations AND using it within its normal operating specs.

To the OP, pulling too much weight/mowing a lot of hills will stress your LT much more than 3 pt. turns will.

·
Registered
375 Posts
How handy are you? You will need to remove the trans from the tractor to change the fluid. It really isn't hard unless the wheels are stuck to the axles and even then it could probably be done with the wheels still attached.

The fresh 5W50 will do wonders for it and increase its life.

I'm also in NY. If you want you can PM me and if we are close I can give you a hand changing the oil as I have done it before on the X300 that I used to own.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow, thank you for the offer. My friends are a bit more "handy" than I, so together, we plan on tackling the fluid change when we can spare some time. If we run into trouble, perhaps I can tap into your experience. Thank you for offering to help.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I am totaly confused;; I have a X300 in the shop with 11 hours on the clock. It does NOT have a oil change/drain plug. The tractor bearly Moves when it gets warm..

·
Junior weed whacker
198 Posts
I am totaly confused;; I have a X300 in the shop with 11 hours on the clock. It does NOT have a oil change/drain plug. The tractor bearly Moves when it gets warm..
I'm confused too with this one. :confused:

Please let its know what the outcome is.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hey OP nice to see you're getting some good service out of your machine. It just goes to show you if you take good care of your stuff and don't use it beyond it's intended purpose it will last many years.

Look at it this way, even if the tranny does give out at some point it's not like that's the end of the machine's life. You can get a rebuild kit from Tuff Torq for $150 to $200 or so and it will run like new again for another however many years. Many threads here and videos on youtube of people who have done this and it honestly doesn't look that hard. It's a weekend project at the most and I've heard support from the folks at TT is really good.

My X320 has a little over 2 years left on the warranty and after that I plan on doing the oil change thing just to be on the safe side.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts