My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I see the JD tire chains are 100-110 shipped(don't have a local dealer) and I saw on Ebay the Peerless brand chains are 57 shipped.

They both are zinc plated and 2 link spaced am I missing something that make the JD chains better(double)?

Sorry the size I'm looking at 26x12x12.

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I thought.

·
Bring on old man winter.
670 Posts
Check at L&M Fleet or I got a set from tirechains.com for $70. My friend got a set from Fleet Farm for around $60.
L&M might be a good local source for you.

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Wooly. I'll be driving right by it on my way from work tonight. I checked there once a couple months ago and all they had was smaller stuff.

I'll check again they may have more now that tis the season.

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,158 Posts
Bought mine on eBay a few years ago for about $50. They work great.

·
MTF Member
175 Posts
there is a big difference in cheep chains and good ones.
Not saying John Deere ones are best as I have no experiance with them.
The cheep ebay chains are soft and lighter weight with cheep tension links on them.
I have two sets, cheep ones and a good set (unknown brand I got them used)
If I was buying them again I would pass on the cheep ebay chains.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I bought the John Deere Chains and they were $76.85 from the dealer but they listed for $140.00 on JD's website. I don't know if they accidently doubled it thinking it was per chain or what.

·
It's not easy being green
348 Posts
If they doubled the price, it most likely wasn't an accident.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just purchased the Peerless off of E-bay for $57 with free shipping about a month ago. They were here in 2 days. The outside chains measures.187(3/16)diameter. The cross chains measures a bit smaller at .179 My local JD dealer wanted $110 dollars + tax my drive way is 1/10th mile gravel. They seam a little light but i will probably get 5 plus years out of them. I had i little heavier set on a old cub .210 diameter and had about 10 years on them and they were only about half way wore. So $57 seems in line.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
there is a big difference in cheep chains and good ones.
you are talking to mostly americans here you know? where cheap is everything and usually the only thing!

trying to be light about a serious topic, same brand at a cheaper price, take the cheaper price but when something is 1/2 the price and claiming the same quality, I have rarely seen it happen...

of course if the chains are made by children making 5$ a week I guess they can make them cheaper... :)

the quality of the steel I am sure is the difference with the chains...

·
John Deere
78 Posts
bought mine from the dealer over 12 years ago and never take them off, I go from snow throwing to plowing to tilling in the summer. They work great in the garden. I have another Deere for mowing..

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Check at L&M Fleet or I got a set from tirechains.com for $70. My friend got a set from Fleet Farm for around $60.
L&M might be a good local source for you.
Stoped last night and they had a set. They were the Peerless brand witch I think is the same as what the ebay chains were but I was able to by them local and they were 70.00.

I don't know if Peerless is a good chain or not but that is the only brand our fleet store had.

·
Registered
989 Posts
...I don't know if Peerless is a good chain or not but that is the only brand our fleet store had.
I owned a pair of peerless chains that I bought in 2004 and ran them year round on my GT5000. I would estimate I put about 400-500 hours on them. Mowing, gravel driveway grading, hauling dirt, etc... They held up fine for me.

When I sold the tractor last spring the chains clearly showed signs of wear. I would estimate they had at least 3 years of safe life left in them if used year round.

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's good to hear :thanku:. 400-500 hours would be a life time of snow moving for me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts