My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still working on my STX38 replacing missing parts . I got all the parts but I found out my ignition switch was not any good , So I went thru eBay and got a new one which is a brand new original JD part TCA15075 AM101561 NEW OEM but when I got it ,It will not fit into to hole in the plastic shift quadrent (to big around). Acording to JD parts lookup this is the only switch used on STX . Does anyone have any idea why and how to get the right one that will fit. Or should I just drill the hole in the quad bigger?
Tim

·
Certified Master Tinkerer
3,045 Posts
Look closely at the old switch for a notch in the threads that aligns with a tab in the mounting hole. That's the way the old 100 series switches prevent spinning the switch when you turn the key. If yours works the same way then drilling the hole bigger will just lead to a new problem.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
I am still working on my STX38 replacing missing parts . I got all the parts but I found out my ignition switch was not any good , So I went thru eBay and got a new one which is a brand new original JD part TCA15075 AM101561 NEW OEM but when I got it ,It will not fit into to hole in the plastic shift quadrent (to big around). Acording to JD parts lookup this is the only switch used on STX . Does anyone have any idea why and how to get the right one that will fit. Or should I just drill the hole in the quad bigger?
Tim
I got the correct STX38 switch from JD and it fits without modification.

A close up of the switch and a close up of the moutning point would help determine the problem.

Don't force fit, never a good idea just like HOD advised- without the flat-side the switch will spin...

·
Certified Master Tinkerer
3,045 Posts
Is it possible you're trying to put it in upside down? If the hole is shaped like a D and you try to insert the switch 180 deg. out it will bind. The flat side will be very subtle on both the switch and the hole. In poor lighting you could easily overlook it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let's try this again
My John Deere STX38 # is M00STXB044669=1991 The switch I got is
TCA15075 replaces AM101561, it has a od dia of 13/16th" and the round part of the "d" hole in the plastic starter panel is 5/8" .

I think the problem lies with the plastic panel which apears to have came off a black deck STX 38, and that model uses a the switch with the 5/8 dia hole
Thanks anyway Tim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts