My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang, I have a stx 38 thats about 100 years old or so. Yellow deck and this tractor has been great.

I was cutting grass recently, flat ground and the grass was average height. All of the sudden, the blades stop. I checked the belts...all seems to be fine there. When I throw the deck engage switch, I can hear a solenoid clicking up front at the pully on bottomside of engine but obviously, something aint doing what its supposed to do. Where should I start to look? All the wires appear to be attached tightly where they are supposed to be, and as I said, I can hear it clicking and it looks like something is trying to move inside that pulley. HELP! In this economy, I cant afford to send it to a shop.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Electri clutch is not working check all connections ground power etc

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
We had a JD111 years ago and did the same. Turned out the wires going to the pto clutch wore through (shielding). Check them out and make sure they're not shrting on the frame or each other etc.

MU

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the solenoid is clicking and trying to move, it doesnt seem like its an electrical issue but Ill check the wiring again. Is there something in that clutch that needs lubricating?

ALSO on a related note, on the rear axle, there are grease fittings....should I use standard grease gun axle grease in these are is there a special goo to use?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
The solenoid clicking is good but that means the clutch is not working check and make sure that when the pto switch is on you have 12 volts at the clutch if so the clutch is bad if not the solenoid is bad
Doug

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I seem to have 12 volts. So I need to replace the clutch? I have a spare parts tractor, so I can take it off there...if I knew what I was doing. Is this something I need to let the dealer handle? If so, any ballpark idea what kinda money we are talking about? I aint about to invest a large amount in this old beast!

·
Administrator
21,223 Posts
I had to change mine out. It shorted out and would drag the engine down just from the short.

If I remember correctly, you just have a center bolt holding the clutch on. Should be a simple task. Then, you should be able to test the old clutch and see what's going on with it. If it didn't burn up or short out internally, maybe just a broken wire??

Good Luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you are hearing a clicking sound then your clutch is probably engaging. With the tractor "engine off" turn your deck on (you will have to put on the parking brake). Grab the pulley for your deck at the clutch and see if you can turn it. At this time you should also be turning over the engine. Did you hit something with the blades? I have never seen it but maybe the key sheared off between the crank and the clutch.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
the clutch needs a proper gap between the two halves.

if you look at the pto you will see three nuts on threaded studs with tension springs.

if the gap is too great you wull get the click but under load it will slip.

if you replace the clutch it really is a simple job...

empty the gas then push the stx over on its side, take a pic or two of the pto for reference, but removing the old clutch is a great lesson on how it goes back on...

if you cann turn a socket you can replace/repair a pto...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts