My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Mowing Green MTF Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just bought the John Deere brush striping kit and it barely stripes at all. I mow at 3 inches and I have tried lowering the brush further and further. How much should I lower the brush? It is in the grass pretty good but it still doesn't stripe. I have seen the same kit doing much better stripes but for me its a no go. Any suggestions for adjusting or making the stripes better? Thanks for all the help. :dunno:

·
MTF mile high club member
5,919 Posts
The stripes will be more defined as you drop it more. What height is it set at right now?

·
Mowing Green MTF Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The stripes will be more defined as you drop it more. What height is it set at right now?
It is set about to about a quarter to a half inch above the ground surface.

·
Enginerd - DieselDork
785 Posts
Hey guys,

I just bought the John Deere brush striping kit and it barely stripes at all. I mow at 3 inches and I have tried lowering the brush further and further. How much should I lower the brush? It is in the grass pretty good but it still doesn't stripe. I have seen the same kit doing much better stripes but for me its a no go. Any suggestions for adjusting or making the stripes better? Thanks for all the help. :dunno:
Is your grass dry and "crinkly" underfoot? You won't get good stripes with dry grass.

Try moving even farther, cut at 3.5" The grass really needs to lay over in the direction of the roll in order to get the best stripes.

·
Registered
353 Posts
As said already, the lower it is the better or more distinguished the stripe. Also if you speed the blades up it will give a better stripe but that is probably a lot more difficult to do than the stripe brush. Be careful though if you set the brush too low it can be hard on young grass, at least the one that I made for my mower was. The brush may be easier on the grass than the belting so I would start at about 1" above the ground on concrete and see how it does. If it is hard one the grass, raise it. Not enough stripe lower it a bit. Here is how mine did with the one I made out of belting from TSC with it set about 1" above the ground while sitting on the driveway.

ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1369273176.598314.jpg
This was last summer and I have since softened the belting/stripe because it was too hard on the young grass, but it still looks pretty close.

Good luck,

P218

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Mowing Green MTF Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is your grass dry and "crinkly" underfoot? You won't get good stripes with dry grass.

Try moving even farther, cut at 3.5" The grass really needs to lay over in the direction of the roll in order to get the best stripes.
The grass is very healthy, especially with all the rain so it's not crinkly. I know you said to raise the deck more but I should be able to stripe very well without raising (at least from the pictures of what this striper can do). Any other ideas?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Striped look good p218!

As they said above, The higher you cut your grass the more striping effect you will get. Plus the grass will be greener

·
Mowing Green MTF Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok. Maybe I'll try mowing higher. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The grass is very healthy, especially with all the rain so it's not crinkly. I know you said to raise the deck more but I should be able to stripe very well without raising (at least from the pictures of what this striper can do). Any other ideas?
Do you have cool season or warm season grass? Basically what state do you live in. As far as I know you will get more of a striping effect from cool season grass.

·
Mowing Green MTF Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I live in NY. I'm not sure if it's cool or warm season grass though.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Probably cool season. Should stripe good. I know with my yard the stripes vary a lot depending on the sky and the angle of the sun. You might wake up tomorrow to crazy stripes! Lol. Post a pic of the stripes / lawn sometime, we will get this figured out.

·
Mowing Green MTF Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the help. I'll experiment and see if I can get the stripes working better. If I need more help I'll just ask.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Striped look good p218!

As they said above, The higher you cut your grass the more striping effect you will get. Plus the grass will be greener

Thanks. Just curious, what are those wheels you used from or for? Neat setup if I might add.

P218

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Probably a dumb question....but you are mowing in opposite directions right??

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thanks. Just curious, what are those wheels you used from or for? Neat setup if I might add.

P218

Parts List.

(15) 5" x 3" Boat Trailer Wobble Wheels $4.44 each plus shipping - $85.00

(1) 48" 5/8" Cold Rolled Steel (this is what the wheels are spinning on) $18.00

(1) 50" 1 1/2" Box Steel Custom Cut For Frame. $35.00 (You can also use superstrut)

Misc Brackets / Screws / Bolts. $25.00 ( There is a place that sells all the hardware needed to mount to your tractor in a kit, pm me if u want the link)

(1) 5/8" Steel Drill Bit $16.00

(1) 5 foot section 3/4" pvc piper, for spacers in between wheels. I just cut with a hacksaw about 1 " to 1 1/2" per spacer.

Took me about 3 Hours to build from start to finish.

·
Mowing Green MTF Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Probably a dumb question....but you are mowing in opposite directions right??
Yes I am. I know I am mowing right because I have striped using other mowers before. I guess I will have to experiment with this striping kit and see if I can get it to stripe any better. Maybe it just doesn't do as good as the better professional systems with the rollers and spring loaded down pressure?

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Be careful though if yo
PHP:
u set the brush too low it can be hard on young grass, at least the one that I made for my mower was.
This is were the roller system would be my choice like on the Simplicity tractor system is set up.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Here is my yard with a few different lighting conditions to show how my 7 iron with deere stripe kit does. I would like it mor pronounced, but it works.

Jon

Cloudy morning
ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1369614801.006398.jpg

Mid to late afternoon
ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1369614817.732663.jpg

Almost dusk
ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1369614827.068586.jpg

1 - 20 of 24 Posts