My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just starting to think about getting a used JD SCUT/GT with a FEL or just the tractor that I can put a FEL on later. Size wise I think the SCUT/GT would work best for me. Not knowing anything about the JD model numbers can someone give me a list or point me to a site where I can get the model numbers I need? I need to know what model numbers to look for before I do any searching. TIA for your help. :trink39:

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,864 Posts
Current JD scuts: 1023e and 1026r
Previous scuts: 2305, 2210

Current JD GT with FEL option: X700 Series (and predecessor series X4x5, X5x5). These all use the Model 45 FEL.

Previous GTs with FEL option: Almost too numerous to list. Almost better to search by the FEL models. Try Models 40 and 44 FEL for starters.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Here is a thought

I am kind of glad I went with a larger SCUT or compact tractor however you want to think of it. Even if it is older (JD855)

I still have all the stuff I need and want. FEL, front mount snow blower, MMM, and hydro tranny. But it is still big enough to do a lot of stuff when I help out with the farming. Running grain augers, pulling hay wagons, pulling fuel trailer for harvest equipment, skidding timber, moving a 10 yard load of gravel, running post hole digger. You get the idea.

If you are only moving a cubic yard of black dirt once a year or so, it makes a difference on the amount of money you do or don't need to spend...........

KnowwhatImean..........

Good luck

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply's guys. With these numbers I'll be able to start looking at what's out there. No farming requirements here. I'm pretty sure a small SCUT or GT would serve me best. Just moving dirt and mulch around, blowing snow, plus some landscaping projects I have in on the list. My Simplicity's will handle the lawn care. Thanks again guys. Much appreciated. :trink39:

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Hi Wayne,:howdy:

We can $pend your money better/quicker with a more detailed account of what you plan to do.:thanku:

For snow I am assuming a driveway? How big and is it paved? How much snow do you get at a crack?

Moving large or small amounts of dirt?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Ron.....Everyone wants to spend my money :D!! I could have used that FEL today. My neighbor had an oak tree that came half way down during some storms last Oct. Today I finished dropping it and started to cut the limbs. I was thinking if I had a FEL I could roll these pieces over to the FEL and let the tractor do all the lifting and moving. OK, so much for that, here is the game plan. Snow removal - my driveway is 50'-60' long with a two car parking area on the side of the driveway. It's all paved. I also have been doing my neighbors driveway for a number of years. He had open heart surgery a few years ago so I'll always be doing his driveway also. His driveway is a little longer that mine with a three car parking area all paved. I have another neighbor two doors down the road from me that if someone doesn't do his before I finish mine and the other neighbors, I'll do his also. His is only 40' long by 2 cars wide. I'll be moving a little dirt around from time to time at my house and my daughters. It won't be tons and tons. Moving mulch would be another job for the FEL. I'd like to be able to scoop it out of the trailer and move it to where it needs to go. Plus I have some small landscape projects on the books that a FEL would make life a lot easier. Moving stone dust, bricks, and landscape blocks around. So there you have it my friend. What do you think? A JD 7700? Haha.....j/k. I started to look at the X485 and X585. The X585 is close to my Prestige size wise which is all I think I would need. Bad thing about them is there all out your way! After looking at all the specs on TractorData.com I think the 2305 might be too big for what I want a tractor for. OK guys let me know what you think. I'm going to get a couple of adult beverages and relax my aching back!! :trink39:

·
10,825 Posts
If your not planning on doing any mowing with your next machine, I would look at SCUTs. Get one with the 3 point and pto already there. Also, loaders on SCUTs have more capacity and reach. If you added forks to the 3 point on a SCUT, you might be able to offload a pallot off a single axle trailer. Probably couldn't do it with a X585, due to height and lift restrictions.

Which large city Craigslist is closest to you?

Kubota and Massey Ferguson are two brands that you should look over also. But trying to find a used Massey SCUT is similar to finding a barn-kept '64 Vette.

On the Kubotas, anything with BX before the model #.

Massey, someone will have to fill you in, I know little.

·
Skid Steer Enthusiast
306 Posts
I may be of some help here. I have dealt with the lack of a FEL. I recently purchased a 61 hp skid steer which suits my needs well. However, in your case I would defiantly look at a SCUT, not a GT. SCUT's have better capacities, if you wanted any implements they are usually cheaper, it would have a ROPS which would ensure your safety when using the FEL, and it would hold it's value if you ever decided to resell in the future. As far as John Deere's go, here is a list of models i would look into:

655 (90's era)
4010 (late 90's-early 2000's)
4110 (Early to mid 2000's)
4115 (Early to mid 2000's)
2210 (Mid 2000's - 05)
2305 (05-11)

I cannot verify that the years I posted are completely accurate.

All good tractors although I would go over the 2210's and 2305's and see what they were used for, both models are known to have poor transmission case castings and have broken which is very expensive to fix.

Kubota also makes good tractors:

BX..30
BX..40
BX..50
BX..60
along with the BX22, BX23, BX24, even the BX25

Kubota has a hydrostatic fan problem where if they are used in a bushy environment it could risk damaging the hydrostatic fan which requires the whole operators station to be removed from the machine. I don't expect that you would use it for those types of uses but I would check to see if the fan is in good condition (has all the blades) before purchase. I have attached a couple pictures of what the fan looks like without the blades, running the machine without the fan will risk over heating the tranny which will blow hydraulic seals. This particular tractor that I have the pictures of has not had the fan replaced and it blew the rear PTO seal.

On both brands, make sure the front axle's have proper oil levels, when the oil is low the heat of moving parts in the transmission will heat up the oil seals and will cause them to expand and contract which creates an uneven seal. Then when it is filled with the proper oil level it is more likely to leak oil due to poor seals. I don't want it to make it sound like I am negative, I just want you to be aware of known problems as you search for a SCUT with a FEL. :)

Also, when you are in your search, make sure you find what best suits your needs, what is most comfortable to you. Both brands have two different hydrostatic pedal arrangements, you may end up preferring one over the other (twin touch vs/treadle, heal toe). :fing32: Hope this post helped. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WOW. Thanks guys for the input. I really appreciate it. At first I thought I wasn't going to mow any lawn with it but after reading both of your posts got me thinking again. My father-in-law has about 7 acre farm not more than a mile from me. He will be 82 in April. I'd say he probably has about 3 acres to mow. If I got a SCUT he could use that to mow and if I needed it I could always go down and drive it home or trailer it home if it wouldn't be a good idea to drive it on hard roads. This would help him out also because right now he mows with a 48" MTD with a tag-a-long mower. We have a couple of equipment sales coming up next month and the one I was at last year had about 5 or 6 tractors with FEL's on them. Now that I have the numbers I'll know what to look at. OK. so it's back to a SCUT. Thanks again for the info. :trink39:

·
Skid Steer Enthusiast
306 Posts
WOW. Thanks guys for the input. I really appreciate it. At first I thought I wasn't going to mow any lawn with it but after reading both of your posts got me thinking again. My father-in-law has about 7 acre farm not more than a mile from me. He will be 82 in April. I'd say he probably has about 3 acres to mow. If I got a SCUT he could use that to mow and if I needed it I could always go down and drive it home or trailer it home if it wouldn't be a good idea to drive it on hard roads. This would help him out also because right now he mows with a 48" MTD with a tag-a-long mower. We have a couple of equipment sales coming up next month and the one I was at last year had about 5 or 6 tractors with FEL's on them. Now that I have the numbers I'll know what to look at. OK. so it's back to a SCUT. Thanks again for the info. :trink39:
You are very welcome. Glad I could help. :)

·
Super Moderator
23,314 Posts
Kubota and Massey Ferguson are two brands that you should look over also. But trying to find a used Massey SCUT is similar to finding a barn-kept '64 Vette.

Massey, someone will have to fill you in, I know little.
There are currently 3 MF GC SCUTs in various configurations on eBay and at least 3 others over the past couple of months.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140687122376?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280828068053?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160738154069?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

...... However, in your case I would defiantly look at a SCUT, not a GT. SCUT's have better capacities............

Kubota has a hydrostatic fan problem where if they are used in a bushy environment it could risk damaging the hydrostatic fan .......

On both brands, make sure the front axle's have proper oil levels, when the oil is low the heat of moving parts in the transmission will heat up the oil seals and will cause them to expand and contract which creates an uneven seal. Then when it is filled with the proper oil level it is more likely to leak oil due to poor seals. I don't want it to make it sound like I am negative, I just want you to be aware of known problems as you search for a SCUT with a FEL. :)
Mmmm. Never met my GT, have you? I have both a MF1655 with FEL and a MF GC2310 TLB. I kept my 1655 because I occassionally have to make lifts well beyond the capacity of the GC. They both weigh about the same in winter configuration (2400+ lb), and the GT is actually the better snow mover with its larger bucket, just not as fast for ground speed, or as fuel efficient with its gas engine.

Massey also has the fan problem on the early model GC's. Later models have a guard plate.

Thanks for the tip about front wheel seals. Gotta check that out come spring. I had an ice problem in one hub last year and couldn't figure out how water got in.

Hi Ron.....Everyone wants to spend my money :D!! I could have used that FEL today. My neighbor had an oak tree that came half way down during some storms last Oct. Today I finished dropping it and started to cut the limbs. I was thinking if I had a FEL I could roll these pieces over to the FEL and let the tractor do all the lifting and moving. ..... Snow removal - my driveway is 50'-60' long with a two car parking area on the side of the driveway. It's all paved. I also have been doing my neighbors driveway for a number of years. His driveway is a little longer that mine with a three car parking area all paved. I have another neighbor two doors down the road from me that ....... is only 40' long by 2 cars wide. I'll be moving a little dirt around from time to time at my house and my daughters. It won't be tons and tons. Moving mulch would be another job for the FEL. I'd like to be able to scoop it out of the trailer and move it to where it needs to go. Plus I have some small landscape projects on the books that a FEL would make life a lot easier. Moving stone dust, bricks, and landscape blocks around.
There is nothing in this list that a properly equipped heavy GT can't handle with ease. The heavy GTs also come with 54" - 60" mowing decks for large area mowing.

The SCUTs do have more capability in several areas as well as a better list of implements. Where they really shine is in fuel economy. Their diesels get almost twice as many hours out of a gallon as a gas powered GT. Their 4wd also produces more grunt force on dirt than a 2wd GT. Winter conditions are a great leveler in that department and my tractors see 60% of their hours in winter.

Dollars spent to accomplish your list of tasks may be the decision maker. Add a FEL, 3PH, rear PTO,and a mower (total, less than $3000) to this one and you'll have something to do all your tasks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130646804828?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got a FEL question. While looking at the JD 2305 & X585 FEL specs there is reference to "Lift to full height @pin" and "Height to pin". I'm not familiar with some of the terms used on a FEL. Is this the pin the bucket rotates on?

·
Skid Steer Enthusiast
306 Posts
Got a FEL question. While looking at the JD 2305 & X585 FEL specs there is reference to "Lift to full height @pin" and "Height to pin". I'm not familiar with some of the terms used on a FEL. Is this the pin the bucket rotates on?
Yes, that is the pin that the bucket curls and dumps on.

·
Skid Steer Enthusiast
306 Posts
Thanks for the tip about front wheel seals. Gotta check that out come spring. I had an ice problem in one hub last year and couldn't figure out how water got in.
No problem. :) I had a seal warp on my Yanmar 169D tractor and it got gear oil all over the garage floor once it was parked.:eek: Mine leaked pretty bad, so I decided to replace the seal. It isn't a hard task, the first time is time consuming but it goes back together easily. It sounds to me like your seal may be warped, I would defiantly look into replacing it otherwise you disk damaging the internal components (gears, shafts, other seals, bearings) due to ice build up or even the introduction of dirt and debris.

Attachments

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
Thanks for the reply's guys. With these numbers I'll be able to start looking at what's out there. No farming requirements here. I'm pretty sure a small SCUT or GT would serve me best. Just moving dirt and mulch around, blowing snow, plus some landscaping projects I have in on the list. My Simplicity's will handle the lawn care. Thanks again guys. Much appreciated. :trink39:
Reading this sure makes me think you would be happy with a x484 or 585 eve a older GT such as a 318 (power steering) with a loader.. Other then mowing your dads place your list of tasks is pretty basic.. A 2210 ,2305 and others in that size are a huge step up in size.. ALSO storage.. I'm all for spending other folks money but.. It sure sounds like those bigger machines would be over kill.. Lots of extra cash to invest also just to mow a few extra acres.. If your not in a big rush to do things then a gt with a loader will work.. If you are in a rush where does the cost out weigh the speed of getting work done? Doesn't sound like you need three point hitch.. just a front blower, front blade possibly and a loader.. toss some weight on the back of a gt with a loader and get your projects done. :thThumbsU

Just looking at your issue if it was my own..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts