My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unit: JD Sabre 1438HS (hydrostatic)

The weirdest problem: the rear wheels on the Sabre spin in opposite directions effectively stopping the tractor in its tracks. It doesn't matter if the free-wheel lever is in or out AND the gear lever won't budge from neutral.

I have jacked up the rear end to have a look but nothing obvious. The cutting belt is very loose and needs to be replaced but I can't see why this would have any affect on the drive-train.

Can anyone give me some sort of clue as to why this may be happening???

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Did the problem start while driving, or perhaps after you had parked it and used the brake?

Have a look at the brake disc and caliper to see if it's stuck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Parked and used the brake ... thanks, will look in daylight tomorrow. I'm still intrigued as to why anything would make the wheels spin in opposite directions!

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Because that's what a differential is supposed to do.

If you have a rear wheel drive car jack up the rear, leave it in gear or park and watch it do the same thing.

On most newer lawn tractors the brake is on the driveshaft or input side of the differential to take advantage of the gear reduction. Lets the manufacturer use smaller brake hardware.

It's very likely you just have a bad or loose brake return spring or your brake linkage is in dire need if adjustment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Ddog, you have solved the problem. I had a piece of palm frond jammed in the rear brake mechanism which locked the brake on. It now works as normal. So I have also taken the time to renew belt and blades and grease every moving part. Living in the tropics the grass grows 1" per hour during our wet season which started over the weekend!

I thought this was going to be an expensive rebuild of the gear box! Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
9,754 Posts
Boy I hear you brother!!!!!! The palm fronds keep breaking off from the snow load up here in New Hampshire :sidelaugh
BTW we do have sand on our driveways too! :crybaby:
Seriously glad D-Dogg could solve it for you. The forum is great :bananapow

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Thanks Ddog, you have solved the problem. I had a piece of palm frond jammed in the rear brake mechanism which locked the brake on. It now works as normal. So I have also taken the time to renew belt and blades and grease every moving part. Living in the tropics the grass grows 1" per hour during our wet season which started over the weekend!

I thought this was going to be an expensive rebuild of the gear box! Thanks again.
glad it was a cheap fix!

how about some pics of a deere in the beauty of queensland!

·
Murph
1,933 Posts
What....No pictures?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts