My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched this video and this is what JD is facing if they don't do something about allowing owners more freedom to work on their own equipment.

·
4,267 Posts
This right to repair is getting traction I was reading about a year ago that a lot of owners, paricularly in Nebraska, were getting their hands on Ukranian software to be able to diagnose and do repairs

·
Parts collector
3,358 Posts
While the new stuff is great to drive and work with, this whole software stuff is a crock of doodie. I haven't been on the farm for 36 years but I'd take a mid to late 70's JD over the new stuff any day. Heck my uncle is STILL running the 3020, the 4000, and the 4020 that I grew up on. IF/WHEN my wife and I get our homestead horse rescue farm together I'm buying a 70's JD to do the chores. BUT I have seen the prices and wow! The price of the old JD stuff is through the roof all because of this software doodie.

·
Super Moderator
29,038 Posts
This right to repair for tractors would have been done already, however they tried to make it encompass more than tractors/agricultural equipment and when they did that all the corporations (including the tech sector) joined JD in the battle to stop it. All of us that use this equipment probably agree that this should be a right when you've bought a piece of equipment. It is going to be a long hard battle to get this through the courts and win it.

Here is the site of one of the organizations fighting to get the right to repair passed:

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Not just the big stuff either. But I think I could manage to rewire my X500 to start and run should it have a board failure. But then, I still keep my old Craftsman and my 1968 Sears Suburban Super 12 in running order just in case.

Was also thinking of finding an old Jeep four banger, maybe mid 80's or earlier to keep around just in case... Had one a few years back and stupidly let it go. A bit rusted, but it started and ran without much technology attached. Repaired lots of worn parts on that thing all in my garage, including a rebuilt engine and drive train parts.

Learning a lot about people and things in the last few weeks.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found it interesting that the old guy who was showing us around his farm said that he was still using equipment from the '80s and wondered if the new equipment would still be around when it was that old. It won't because he had a sat receiver that was no longer being "Supported" by JD which means they will do the same thing with the computers in the present equipment when they age.

·
Parts collector
3,358 Posts
Was also thinking of finding an old Jeep four banger, maybe mid 80's or earlier to keep around just in case... Had one a few years back and stupidly let it go. A bit rusted, but it started and ran without much technology attached. Repaired lots of worn parts on that thing all in my garage, including a rebuilt engine and drive train parts.

Learning a lot about people and things in the last few weeks.
yeah I have all old stuff to drive. LOL............ The newest I have is an 02 Durango and something is wrong with the time delay keeping the interior lights on all the time. I'll keep driving my 93 Dodge diesel till it rots off the frame. I have an 88 Dodge plow truck that I am putting back on the road too.

I have a buddy that is a Ford/Mercury mechanic and man the pics he posts up about repairs and cost is unreal!

·
15,000 +posts!
19,956 Posts
One of my older neighbors who knows I own 2 80's GM trucks with the 6.2 diesels said to me recently "You'd be a good guy to know if we ever have an EMP--you'll be the only guy on the block with 2 trucks that still will run!"...
I'm not that big a fan of these engines--but I guess I had better keep them around..they'll run on just about anything oily that burns...IF you can get them started when its below 30* that is..
I am not a fan of computers in vehicles--give me a carb and points and I'm happy..they may not be as efficient,but at least they'll RUN and anyone with any mechanical ability can fix them..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts