My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Back in the day they built stuff meant to be maintained that you could pass on to your grand children. Now they build stuff meant to be replaced every 5 years or so. Push a throw away garden tractor past average homeowner use and you won't get that 5 years out of it...
Not sure if you are talking about a JD 500 series tractor- but if you are nothing could be further from the truth. A new X570/580/590 will give 20/30 years of hard use if properly maintained

To still.try.decide - yes if you go with X570, the johnny Products electric sleeve hitch is way to go- with X580 or X590 JD sells hydraulic sleeve hitch for them - and that would be preferred way to go on them- faster response than electric hitch

·
Registered
728 Posts
With that budget you can buy a used subcompact or compact tractor go look on tractorhouse.com.

Find a diesel with under 2,000 hours

You will actually have a lot options looking at used SCUT or CUTs.

Any JD x series hold the value so well

You can find a cheaper CUT with a FEL which is really what you need.

Actually a SCUT may be better for mowing

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
Antique but will built and the 6 grand for that well maintained old critter well save you the 12 grand or more that an equal new one would cost. Lots more to look at than just hp and differentials.

·
Premium Member
3,971 Posts
I have 2 GTs and love what they can do but also accept their limitations. I have 24 acres and really need ~a 25-30HP tractor. I have been getting by with my GTs but they are not what I or you need. You simply don't have enough weight and downforce with a GT to effectively plow or clear 2+ acres of land as you intend to do.

You'd be better served with a mower for the grass and a tractor for the tractor work. Look around for a low hour tractor with loader in the 25HP range and bite the bullet if needed. You'll be happier in the long run than trying to make a GT work in a role it's not heavy enough for. I wish I had bought a 25-30HP tractor 20yrs ago.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
thanks everybody,
Yes I know a garden tractor is not a real TRACTOR ... If I fine a good deal on somethign bigger I will consider it, esp. a x700 or a SCUT. Thanks for you advice. I still got time till the Spring but I want to start collecting attachments so I need to decide on sleeve hitch or 3 point. So far I am leaning toward a x500 JD, with wheel weights, electric sleeve hitch, chains.
I've been thinking about what I need the tractor for, and I may have misrepresented the size and work. We have 4 acres, but minus the house, the driveway, etc. only 1 acre needs extensive plowing and tilling, the rest is orchard, and garden plots which can be done by hand, I don't even know if I could get in to do some work on them with a tractor. Basically think, hobby farm, organic patches etc. It's not monoculture that's done by machines. However I need to first plow an acre or 2 becuase right now it's just grass that hasn't been touched in years. But after the initial plowing, it shouldn't require that much work. So it's hard for me to see a big tractor on that land, however a SCUT could be nice.
I've seen videos and testimonies of people cultivating with garden tractors. Craftsman, JDs etc. and there are videos of the Brinly Moldboard plow doing just fine against grass, pulled by a garden tractor.
Also the land would not be easy to navigate by a large tractor, due to a small ditch and some other features, I could reshape the layout, in time, but now I want to get started and get it done. There is the Youtube channel Farpoint farms where the guy cultivates his land (6 acres) with garden tractors, and it works. Sure it may not be as effective and efficient as a large tractor, but you have to consider your budget, and convenience, such as, a large tractor requires bigger storage, more fuel, more maintenance etc. And for me, just trying to imagine a tractor working the land that we have I have trouble placing a large machine on that field.
Also, New Brunswick is not Pennsylvania, or Wisconsin, there are way fewer people, fewer farmers, and less equipment to choose from. So it's not as easy to find a good deal on a used tractor. For John Deere we have a couple of dealerships in the area, so that would work.
Thanks for all the responses.

But I am one step closer because it has become clear that Husqvarna is out, though they look so appealing on paper, lock diff, Tuff torque66 , etc.
thank you

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Not sure if you are talking about a JD 500 series tractor- but if you are nothing could be further from the truth. A new X570/580/590 will give 20/30 years of hard use if properly maintained

To still.try.decide - yes if you go with X570, the johnny Products electric sleeve hitch is way to go- with X580 or X590 JD sells hydraulic sleeve hitch for them - and that would be preferred way to go on them- faster response than electric hitch
thanks Tony

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I have 2 GTs and love what they can do but also accept their limitations. I have 24 acres and really need ~a 25-30HP tractor. I have been getting by with my GTs but they are not what I or you need. You simply don't have enough weight and downforce with a GT to effectively plow or clear 2+ acres of land as you intend to do.

You'd be better served with a mower for the grass and a tractor for the tractor work. Look around for a low hour tractor with loader in the 25HP range and bite the bullet if needed. You'll be happier in the long run than trying to make a GT work in a role it's not heavy enough for. I wish I had bought a 25-30HP tractor 20yrs ago.
X570 is almost there, isn''t it? 24hp.

·
Premium Member
3,971 Posts

X570 is almost there, isn''t it? 24hp.
Not at all. There is no comparison between a 2500lb 25hp diesel tractor and a 600lb 25hp gas burning lawn tractor.

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/008/0/8/8085-kubota-l2501.html

http://www.tractordata.com/lawn-tractors/002/8/4/2840-john-deere-x570.html

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well, since the majority back the large tractor idea, can I just ask is John Deere 855 24hp Diesel strong enough?
This is certainly making me rethink my budgets

·
Premium Member
3,971 Posts
Well, since the majority back the large tractor idea, can I just ask is John Deere 855 24hp Diesel strong enough?
This is certainly making me rethink my budgets
Thats a good small sized tractor that would probably make you very happy.

·
Premium Member
3,971 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Hi everybody
I will need to buy a garden tractor to cultivate a couple of acres, 2 at first, then maybe clear some land and work on more. I really like the specs of Husqvarna GT52XLSi, (dif lock, strong enough tuff torqe transaxle) but I don't like their frame twisting and buckling. I want to use my tractor with a moldboard plow, cultivator, harrow etc. and maybe even with the front plow/loader. So I am really leaning towards JD x570, it's more expensive but in the long run what good is Husqvarna if the frame buckles. Also my terrain is uneven and we got a little bit of a slope. What would you guys choose? Someone said not to discount Cub Cadet, but I also have to look at dealerships, and around Fredericton New Brunswick there are not that many choices, I need to look at the future service, parts etc. Would JD X570 be a good choice?
thanks
Hey,
You need a real tractor. The implements for garden tractors are not very good to work the ground. They are small also. The tiller and I suppose a plow are about the only things worth getting. I have had real farm equipment, when farming, and now a GT and an LT and now work 1.5 acres. It's almost impossible especially if you aren't going to use herbicide. You just can't get anything done in any reasonable time. Going over the ground a few times to get it in shape, etc. gets old real fast. The ground gets harder during the summer and the implements need lots of weight and get harder to pull and do very little. Lots of weight is needed for these little implements that are almost a joke. If rain is on the way and you want to get something done fast, you can't. GT's and LT's can be used for gardens and maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 acre but that is it farming wise. I don't do any of the other work you are talking about possibly doing but I can't image using a GT for very much of that kind of work either. Just get some kind of real tractor that has been dependable and can be worked on if ever needed by a mechanic. I would get something from the 1960's on up because they are much more modern than around 1960 on down. You can get several good implements, cheap, that will always work for a real tractor.

·
Blank Space
3,019 Posts
So you guys are telling me that a 20 or 30 yr. old tractor, will be trouble free, vs. a new John Deere x5** ? I thought that JDs, even small ones were tough? and old stuff is.... old stuff. it's like buying a car, I woudl always choose a new car over an old Ford. Tractors have the same components as cars; wheels, engines etc. so they are bound to break down if they are old. right? what am I missing?
Computerization. A small electronic glitch can render a new tractor (car or truck) useless and can be very expensive to repair, even if the brand will allow you to do so. JD is getting a name for NOT allowing owners to repair their own machines without having a Tech reset some code for a fee.

Older machines are still generally plentiful enough that third party parts makers are keeping parts available that most backyard wrench turners can replace easily.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Computerization. A small electronic glitch can render a new tractor (car or truck) useless and can be very expensive to repair, even if the brand will allow you to do so. JD is getting a name for NOT allowing owners to repair their own machines without having a Tech reset some code for a fee.

Older machines are still generally plentiful enough that third party parts makers are keeping parts available that most backyard wrench turners can replace easily.
Yes a real tractor is totally in a different world than a GT and even a GT on steroids. Consider this. For starters 2 acres for a real tractor is hardly any work for it. But boy will it do the job and your other work you want to do too. Look at the tractor you can get compared to the 500 series for the same money. 500 series is good but not for what you want. This is meant for the OP.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Hi everybody
I will need to buy a garden tractor to cultivate a couple of acres, 2 at first, then maybe clear some land and work on more. I really like the specs of Husqvarna GT52XLSi, (dif lock, strong enough tuff torqe transaxle) but I don't like their frame twisting and buckling. I want to use my tractor with a moldboard plow, cultivator, harrow etc. and maybe even with the front plow/loader. So I am really leaning towards JD x570, it's more expensive but in the long run what good is Husqvarna if the frame buckles. Also my terrain is uneven and we got a little bit of a slope. What would you guys choose? Someone said not to discount Cub Cadet, but I also have to look at dealerships, and around Fredericton New Brunswick there are not that many choices, I need to look at the future service, parts etc. Would JD X570 be a good choice?
thanks
I made a mistake and posted under Obscured by Clouds that is for you.

·
Super Moderator
15,903 Posts
So which JD today is the equivalent to that JD855 of yesteryear ?
2025R will handle 2 acres of Garden and even More I own Both a 2025R and a X748(older version of a X758) and then a few More Garden tractor as well. I used a Garden tractor for Years On 3acre Gardens Used a JD 240 which would be close to a JDX570 as far as the 240 used sleeve Hitch Implements & a 30inch Belt driven PTO tiller. The 240 also used a Manual lift spring assist to raise & Lower Implements Only thing it doesn't Have is Diff/lock which the JD X570 has.

About 3 to 4 years after I bought the JD 240 I added a Ingersoll Garden tractor with a Hydraulic lift Cat 0 3 point Hitch to complement the JD 240 for Garden work Then about 7 to 8 years Later I added a White GT2055 Because I finally wanted a Loader Tractor. But it Lacked Power steering so I Bought a Used JD 425 so I could Have a Loader tractor That Had Power steering. I used that for about 2 Years On that 3 acre Northern NY Garden. When I retired from the Army In 2002 I used the 425 & White GT2055 to Handle a 3.5 acre Garden. Traded the 425 In 2003 for a JD X485 with a Loader & Hydraulic tiller to Handle that 3.5acre Garden Until 2014 when I traded the X485 for a used 2012 X748. we Moved to a New Place In 2016 where I have about a 1.7 acre Garden for which I Bought a JD 1025R in 2017 to Help with the Garden work. Finally Upgraded that to a 2025R In summer 2018. I have a Mowing deck for the 2025R But I don't use it. The deck just sits On a shelf collecting dust. I did Use the 2025R for Tilling work for Garden Prep this Past June. But all it's done since is Backhoe work

While the 2025R does Great with the Prep work I find Myself Using the X748 More In the Garden than the 2025R. Which really Only Bought the 1025R & 2025R to do Backhoe work anyways . For a 3 acre Garden really the Deere super Garden tractors ie X700 series Tractors are really suited for Garden work. If Your Just Growing row Crops the Compact tractors will Probably be fine Ie Beans & Corn But I grow Watermelons and Tomatoes and other things as well and a Garden tractor is Just More Nimble to work In the Garden. Actually this Year I have used my 2004 GX335 In the garden More than the X748. I am actually Looking at adding a 2 Wheel tractor for use In the Garden once the Corn Gets 6inchs Tall https://www.earthtools.com/tractors-bcs/bcs-852-853/ because there More suited for Cultivating duties with a Power Harrow .

But for Now In Your Case I would start off with the X570 and Go from there you Can always Upgrade if You need more tractor.

BTW I use a Johnny Products electric Lift sleeve Hitch On My JD GX335 and a Johnny Products electric Lift Kits On MY OEM sleeve Hitch On MY Cub Cadet XT3. The wife wants to get a 30inch Bercomac tiller 30" Rotary Tiller for Lawn and Garden Tractors - Bercomac for the XT3GSX so she Can tend to Her Garden Beds. Having a smaller PTO tiller is a real nice thing to have Once the Garden grows Up.

But In closing I would suggest the X570 as a Good Starter tractor for Your Intended needs right now of a 2 acre Garden:thThumbsU

Attachments

Reactions: still.try.decide

·
Registered
6 Posts
It looks to me that what you need is much more than a garden tractor. Go for an old farm tractor. I bought a 1948 JD Model A in great condition for $500 plus hauling to my place. All it needed was a paint job. I also bought an 1948 Allis Chalmers WD. I work 15 acres, plow, till and mow. I sold the JD now use the AC. I needed to purchase a 3 point hitch kit was all. The WD's now sell for around 2-3 K$ in great shape, parts are available, and they are a great tractor. As long as upkeep is good on these old guys they will do anything you would want. Of course if you want heat and AC and a cab go modern. I personally would not buy any current new equipment for the work you want to do. Check Allischalmers.com, Yesterdaystractors.com all list great old farm equipment. I would always recommend JD with todays equipment.

21 - 40 of 123 Posts