My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
picked up a snowthtrower attachment off craigslist for my 7hp jd70.its a single stage,everything works fine.anyone ever own & use a snowthrower for a model 60 or 70?just curious what to expect.:thanku:

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I started out with 60's and 70's. Fun little tractors! They will throw the snow 4/5 feet if the conditions are right. But I live in Fulton,NY ,the conditions were never right. The 70 is useless in any heavy/wet snow. I ended up using a 3 foot 2-12, tie wired to the front of the snow thrower and plowing the snow.After that I found the correct snow plow blade and finished out the rest of the snow season.
I also needed to use my walk behind for the snow at the end of the driveway.
There is no way a model 70 could handle even a mild Fulton winter,but it was still fun to play with it.

After seeing your picture I'm sure you have other snow removal tractors,so have some fun with the 70!!

·
Registered
302 Posts
I had a 100 with the 32A blower. The 100 had the 8hp Briggs.

Mine did fine with the normal, dry snows up to 6-8" but could not handle any of the larger drifts that I always would get living out in the open. The throw was not that great either since I have a two lane driveway. I recently sold it and bought a larger two-stage. However, it was fun to tinker on. If I was going to keep it, I was going to do the modifications that sometimes helps the throw.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:thanku:thanks for the feedback.i decided to take the auger out,cleaned all the rust on the housing,chute&auger.in the process of throwing a couple coats of paint on everything.i'm hoping this + a couple coats of slip plate should keep the build-up to a minimum.like STRAIGHT mentioned,this is not the primary workhorse,just something i was going to let the boy cut his teeth on.:Tractor2:

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Great pics!! Cute little bugger you got there.

·
Registered
965 Posts
:thanku: for the pictures. Looks like one happy John Deere Owner. That safety vest is a good idea too.:thThumbsU

·
Super Moderator
32,618 Posts
I believe that you have improved you lot in life since you aren't standing there with a shovel in you hands! :sidelaugh The smile says it all! Looks like it was doing exactly what it's supposed to do! The biggest think with the single stage is finding the point where your forward speed gives the best throwing. Too much and it bogs down and can clog the chute, too little and it doesn't have enough snow in the auger to force it out the chute well!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts