My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a John Deere G100, the transmision is toast, it will move but not much, I dropped the fluid and put syn 5w50 in it no differance. drive belt is good so I don't really know what to do, it has a command 25hp twin that runs great, the deck is good and i can salvage afew other parts I dunno if the rear tires will fit on my 317 & 318 I have checked prices on K66 tuff torque and they are 1k + so not sure it's worth it. maybe on a good day in the spring i could get 800 for it so i'm stumped. Thanks

·
Registered
833 Posts
Tuff Torq makes rebuilt kits and there is a set of videos step by step of someone doing this to a K66. Up until recently the K66 could be bought for $300 at Surplus Center. My G100 was a great mower and puller.

Rear wheels will bolt up. Tires are slightly larger at 24x12x12 vs 23x10.5x12. you should clear the decks of the 318/317 and will look better IMO.

·
Registered
6,276 Posts
The K62 as used in the LX200 series is in the same family as the K66. It would be interesting to see if a K62 from a blown up LX would bolt in place of the K66 with no mods. You would no longer have the [ massively overrated, imo "heavy duty ground engaging"'] transmission but you would have a functioning lawn tractor. Go to the JD parts site and see if the K62 and K66 use the same upper case half. I kinda remember doing this and finding out they were the same PN.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update, I found a unit out of a 345 or 355? It must be a K71 alot beefier I am going to install it into the G100 looks like the thing will bolt in. I read a thread where it's been done needing the gas tank and linkage from the other tractor, proble is that i used a cutting wheel to remove the transmission and the one rod is completely toast, i swapped the top fan and pulley from the K66 because the one on the k71 was a double pulley, I'm not afraid of hard work i hope that i can make it fit. also the k71 had hyd lift and power steering so i have two lines that im going to have to plug

·
Registered
833 Posts
:thisthreadisworthle

1 - 6 of 6 Posts