My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a used John Deere F910 over the summer, it was running great, I put new blades on and a new battery. After mowing one day I parked it and the next day went to go mow some more and the thing wouldn't start. Not even a click like the battery was dead. It has a 20 hp onan engine in it. The battery connections are tight, and I believe the saftey switches are all ok. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Brian.

·
10K and Climbin!
12,783 Posts
Hello again Brian..

So it won't crank?

test battery.. Voltage ok? Connections clean/not corroded?
Check for blown fuse on smaller positive wire from battery positive.

Safety interlocks
Seat Switch
Brake applied or parking brake engaged
PTO switch off

Find the solenoid and test for voltage there while trying to start..
If none, Interlock or key switch is the trouble.

some ideas to get you started.. :goodl::greendr:

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would take the battery cables off the posts, and give them a good brushing with a steel battery post cleaning brush. Also check the battery cables. I had a very similar problem on my JD 4600 and we had to chase it down for a while. Turned out to be a crack in the battery cable where it connected to the terminal. We just cut the battery cable and put on a new terminal and never had another problem. Battery problems can be real intermittent like that and they are easy to fix so I would start there.

Hope that helps.
Anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
859 Posts
Take a volt meter, check to see if you are getting 12V to the solenoid. If you are not getting 12V to the solenoid, then it is more than likely a safety switch or a bad connection somewhere. Trace forward from the key and see where you stop getting 12V. You will probably need a service manual (ebay).

If you ARE getting 12V to the solenoid, but not to the starter, then you probably need a new starter. Autozone will check it for free (but you gotta pull it off the engine).

If you are getting less than 12V to the solenoid, but still some voltage (5V-11V), then either your battery is bad or you have a connection that is dropping too much voltage (resistance is too high). You could try cleaning all connections or buy a "starter improvement kit" which is really just an overpriced relay.

Oh, and I think autozone will load test your battery for free also.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would recheck the saftey switchs. We alwasy had problems with the nuetral switchs and seat switchs. They would come and go and be intermitent so always have to double and triple check them. Good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I put a brand new battery in it whe I bought it because the old onw was bad. I will still check it, because new doesn't always mean good. I will try these ideas and go from there.
Thanks again, Brian.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.