My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well have finally made the decision to go with a ZT mower for my 3.5 acres as reducing cutting time was one of the biggest factors for me. I have narrowed it down between the John Deere EZtrak Z425 or the Toro Titan ZX5000. The pricing is about the same on each, though the Deer has an extra 4 inches on the deck and is stated to get an extra 1 mph than the Toro. On the other hand the Toro has an extra year of warranty.

I am leaning towards the JD, but was just wondering if anyone would recommend one over the other? Maybe any other models or other brands that are similar in price and features (worth considering) that I may have missed?

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Here's my OPINION.

I'd pick the JD. Why?

the Toro appears to use integrated Hydro-gear drives whereas the JD uses separate Kanzaki pumps and Parker wheel-motors. Individual components are much easier to repair/replace in most instances and often cost less than integrated ones.

JD lists the weight of their unit as 660 lbs but Toro conveniently does not post that info. WHY? The thickness of the steel used to build these units is directly related to the shipping weight. Since most of the machine is made of steel, then the weight of a machine is ONE way to judge the quality of it.

Toro uses the Briggs ELS. I know JD entered into a deal with Briggs to produce engines with the Deere brand on them but I have to wonder whether the Deere is actually using an ELS or a Vanguard. If it is a Vanguard, then that engine is far superior to an ELS.

At the end of the day, the Deere will bring more bux as a used unit then the Toro will because the green and yellow paint carry much more weight with the general public.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts