My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Settled on getting an X350. Will rebuild the engine on the D110 over the winter and keep it as a spare, for rough work, maybe take the deck off and use it as a cargo vehicle, or just sell it.

Now, is the Extended Warranty a good thought? $421 for an extra 3 years with $0 deductible. I'm leaning towards going with it. Thoughts?

·
Registered
789 Posts
If you buy it, you are betting that you are going to have a warranty problem in that period that would cost more than the $421 to address. If you have a serious problem that the warranty would cover in the time after the 4 year warranty is up, you will think it was money well spent. If it gives you peace of mind, it will probably also be worth it.

These extended warranties are very high profit. If you know nothing about machines and don't want to learn how to fix them, they are not a bad choice.

I didn't buy one and I am glad. I normally just say no to extended warranties.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you buy it, you are betting that you are going to have a warranty problem in that period that would cost more than the $421 to address. If you have a serious problem that the warranty would cover in the time after the 4 year warranty is up, you will think it was money well spent. If it gives you peace of mind, it will probably also be worth it.

These extended warranties are very high profit. If you know nothing about machines and don't want to learn how to fix them, they are not a bad choice.

I didn't buy one and I am glad. I normally just say no to extended warranties.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I usually decline all extended warranties but I did buy a “lifetime” extended warranty on my 2012 Chrysler Town and Country. Over the last three years that warranty paid to replace the a/c evaporator and compressor, a sliding door motor, a rear hatch motor, a DVD screen and a rear axle bearing. Now keep in mind that the warranty cost me $2,400 at time of purchase.

·
Registered
789 Posts
My brother has also had similar "luck" with extended warranties on a couple of Chrysler minivans. As a rule, I don't buy them, but I did buy one on my last two dehumidifiers. The first one died before the 1 year manufacturer warranty was over so Best Buy refunded me the full amount. The replacement is still working several years later. It might have done so without buying the warranty, but it was pretty cheap insurance for something that fails regularly. I also bought the extended warranty on my heat pump water heater. They are really expensive and have not had a great reliability record.

Deere's on the other had are generally quite good and last a long time and the 4 year warranty is generally long enough to discover the manufacturing defects. So I am willing to take the risk it won't break a lot.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I never get them. My Dad was getting up in the years and bought a new 96 Ram 1500 with a $6000 Jayco conversion package on it. It sat on the lot almost a year and they wound up knocking $6000 off. Then they talked him into the extended warranty. He got all of his maintenance done at a local shop. The owner told him the evaporator and some other A/C stuff was leaking., and if he had an extended warranty, take it to a dealer, it was well over $1000 to fix it. Turned out he only had about two weeks left on it. At this time Dad was about 8o and was nearing the end of his fight with prostate cancer, he was a big intimidating guy, but was getting weak, and the fight was about gone from him. He let one of his neighbors drive the truck to Dads new house. They hit a dear. Cracked the headlight, bezel, grill, and some other front end damage. When he dropped the truck off the manager said they were busy and it might be a week getting it done, but his warranty came with a loner. When he came back to pick it up the A/C was all fixed. When he walked around to get in, all of the body damage had been fixed too. I don’t know if the extended warranty covered body damage, I wouldn’t think so. Dad said he had talked to the guy for a long time about being in India during WWII and about contracting Jungle Fever and Malaria at the same time and almost died. He said he told the guy they had hit a deer one evening, and it wasn’t the dealerships fault, and they shouldn’t have done it. He said the manager took his hand and shook it, and said, “you shouldn’t have to drive around in a busted up truck, it was my pleasure”. I don’t know if it was covered or the manager felt that much respect for an old guy, they just did it. I don’t know the name of the dealer. They were a small Dodge dealer in Charlestown WV, and the treated my Dad right.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I love stories like this one. Thanks for sharing.

2,749 Posts
Extended warranties, whatever they are charging, they are betting on nothing is going to happen during that period. Read the fine print. Does it go into effect after the manufacturer's warranty is up or does it start when you make the purchase.

·
Registered
789 Posts
When you buy one, you are betting something is going to happen that would cost you more than the price of the warranty. If you don't buy one, you are betting (the future cost of any repairs) that nothing is going to happen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts