My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I know some where I saw that there was a JD backhoe for the 300/400 open framed machines .
Pic' would be cool to see
How rare who one be ?
Has anyone got one ?
Thanks Wasz

·
10,362 Posts
Hello, I know some where I saw that there was a JD backhoe for the 300/400 open framed machines .
Pic' would be cool to see
How rare who one be ?
Has anyone got one ?
Thanks Wasz
Im not expert but i do think they are neat. They were made by Brantly not JD.
They were for many different brands and are rare indeed, very few around. There are alot more loaders than backhoes for sure. Most people wouldn't need one so not many sold

I found an old brochure that is kind of cool; found it in a post in the bolens section of the forum. I hope my link works

http://www.wfmfiles.com/download/Brantly_Equipment_Brochure.pdf

If not they are around and i hope someone can help you better than myself. Check the bolens forum under a thread by a guy named bolens kid:)

Mikey.

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
Mikey I don't see anything Brantly in the MTF REFERENCE LIBRARY. Why don't you forward that link to <DJ in WV> and he will probably be glad to have it.

·
10,362 Posts
Mikey I don't see anything Brantly in the MTF REFERENCE LIBRARY. Why don't you forward that link to <DJ in WV> and he will probably be glad to have it.
Can do larry. Ill do that right now. I just thought it was neat so i always save brochures

Mikey.

·
Super Moderator
13,262 Posts
I am pretty sure if one came up for sale the collectors would be sabatoging each others vehicles trying to get there. I would LOVE to have one for my 318 but I think I would be better off saving up for a new mini excavator... I could get that before I found one for the 300 series. :)

·
the mad scientist
304 Posts
ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1375762246.360657.jpg

I seen one a few years back on Craig's, there is a YouTube video of one operating, they are next to impossible to find. The seller wanted like 6 grand for it or some crazy number, was in stroudsburg pa. It's up there with the arps trench devil and the danuser post hole digger in terms of rareness. I don't know how many we're built but I suspect not many.

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
21,926 Posts
Price is what kept them off the GTs. I was looking for one in the mid '80s and I think they were around $3000-$3500 at that time.

More than what my Scottish wallet was prepared to shell out, in any event.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I didnt know they made them for the small tractors like 318 etc. very cool!

·
Registered
730 Posts
The Brantly backhoes were made for the older 300 series tractors like 300, 316 Kohler etc, and the model 400 tractor. I've never heard of a factory backhoe made to fit a open frame 318 or 420 tractor. There are probably some Brantlys modified to fit the newer tractors, and I know there have been some custom, built from scratch backhoes for these tractors.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
View attachment 399978

I seen one a few years back on Craig's, there is a YouTube video of one operating, they are next to impossible to find. The seller wanted like 6 grand for it or some crazy number, was in stroudsburg pa. It's up there with the arps trench devil and the danuser post hole digger in terms of rareness. I don't know how many we're built but I suspect not many.

Sent from the MTF Free App
Well-I do have a brantley in my shop partly attached to a 140 that I am fixing for my father. I am considering copying it to make a backhoe for my 332 on everything but the mounts. There was a person on WFM that did a nice job with loader/bachoe making everything himself. Only think I didn't like was the backhoe was welded to the frame of the 322. Which was fine for him since he used that for his business to get into smaller yards. Mine would be taken off except when I wanted/needed to use it as the tractor does other tasks as well. The 322 was a VERY VERY nice build.

Have the trench devel attached to a custom tracked 140-only 3 known that we know of out there. We were outbid on the danuser post hole digger-which the guy has two and wanted the 2nd to copy some mounts to complete his first one (very nice guy/family-saw him at Horicon 50 year aniversary show). Also missing the 140 "mini-lift" forklift which I have only seen 2 of (at Horicon-go figure).

The backhoes are rare since they cost a lot. Weight a lot on the rear, Need a closed hydro system since the tractor can run it onboard and now days-you can buy one from harbor freight for cheaper then you can almost make them with all the cylinders/valves involved. If you wanted a backhoe-you didnt' buy a L&G tractor for a backhoe. Same reason loaders are rare (not as rare). You bought them to mow, till and blow snow primarily so that is the main equipment out there.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Well-I do have a brantley in my shop partly attached to a 140 that I am fixing for my father. I am considering copying it to make a backhoe for my 332 on everything but the mounts. There was a person on WFM that did a nice job with loader/bachoe making everything himself. Only think I didn't like was the backhoe was welded to the frame of the 322. Which was fine for him since he used that for his business to get into smaller yards. Mine would be taken off except when I wanted/needed to use it as the tractor does other tasks as well. The 322 was a VERY VERY nice build.....
Any photos of the BH on the 140? Or a link to the BH on the 322?:thanku:

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Thread for the 322 backhoe/loader on WFM.

http://www.weekendfreedommachines.com/discus/messages/17/241867.html?1369667061

I don't have pictures yet of the backhoe. The loader on it isn't brantley and we had someone mount the loader and backhoe on the 140. But it was welded on so the bucket isn't level and the backhoe needed to be rebuilt. So the cylinders were rebuilt and new hoses made and a new pump. Several pins had to be cut out of the backhoe as they were so rusted. The backhoe was sitting outside for years and was possibly on a Ford we think. I need to tie the hydraulic system for the loader and backhoe so they work, have one reservoir oil tank so I am thinking of replacing the lower support with tubing to hold the oil. Once I get it working and use it some then it will get taken back apart enough to blast and paint. Brother started on the project a few years ago. I just got a welder so I took it on to get the process finished as kids and house have kept him busy. I will take a few pictures.

·
the mad scientist
304 Posts
It's amazing how versatile these tractors are, I sold a lot of manuals/salesbrochures/parts manuals on ebay a few years back, some of them I got 1000+ for, that's right over a THOUSAND. One of them was a allied attachments manual for 110 112 120 and 140's, it had everything they made for them that was allied and oem. One of the rarest things I had was a signed letter to John Deere dealerships announcing the 110 dated 1962. Here are some pics that I took, most of the stuff I had predated the 2,3 and 400 series, was the backhoe allied equipment? I'd like to find out more about it if possible, EDIT: I tried to upload more pics but it did not work.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
We are all anxious to see the other pics. If you use our own MTF <Go advanced> and then <manage attachments>, it works great for even an electronically challenged old fart like myself. Best of luck, waiting to see.

·
the mad scientist
304 Posts
Hope this works, unfortunately I can't find all of them, I lost most when my old cpu bit the dust. The only ones I have now are the ones that I had uploaded to photobucket. Here are some more, some are blurry, I wish at the time I would of taken better pictures of all the pages to share.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Old post but still would be great to find a backhoe for the 420 or 430. Would be great for digging out around existing home basements and other tight places

·
Registered
730 Posts
I'm quite sure there was no factory backhoe made to fit a 420 or 430, but as noted, there was one made to fit a 400. It would take some fabrication to make one of those fit a 420/430, but it might not be all that much.

For any substantial project, renting a mini excavator will do the job quicker and better than a garden tractor backhoe, but for some things, the garden tractor backhoe is certainly handy.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts