My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was haveing problems with engine running super hot but got that fixed. it was the magneto. got it all back together and now something inside the govenor sounds like it about to let loose. its makeing a real bad whineing noise. havent tore into it yet but was wondering how the bearings get oiled is there a line running toward them or does it just get splashed up from something else inside.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The early ones had an oil line running to the outside bearing. Later tractors were just lubed by what oil flings off the governor gears and internal parts. Did it make the whining before? Could be the governor/fan shaft gears. The fan shaft to governor gear lash are adjusted by shim gaskets. Many times owners will work on the gov or fan shaft and not realize there's more than one gasket and only put one in making the gears tight. Do you have a manual? Here's a link to the parts manual. http://members.fortunecity.com/john_deere/PC330/
The service manual you can get from Deere.
M.D.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it never made any noise like this in the last 20 some years that i can remember. all ive done is take the magneto off and get it repaired and thats it. i didnt touch anything else.i used the old gasket over for the magneto as it was still like new. im kinda thinkn the noise is comeing out of the magneto because if you put your hand on the cover of it while its running you can feal that somethings not right. if i only had another mag to throw on it quick to find out. i do have a the original owners manual a parts book and a complete manual from john deere that explains every in and out of my tractor but i couldnt find much about how it was oiled in any of them. also today i had it out and it would whine then quit for a second or two then start again. Im stumped

1 - 3 of 3 Posts