My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well took me a few years to track one down, and then looking at Craigslist for Erie, PA the other day this showed up. Contacted the seller who has some other JD's and a Bolens GT, and if he joins I'll let him tell you the models. Very nice guy and this was his fathers cart, he gave me an extra wheel for it as well. Not all original and some things will have to bear the brunt of my poor welding skills but it'll be a good winter project, and something to keep my mind occupied for a while. Anyways here are the original just got it home pictures:

Attachments

·
I'll never get to 10,000
4,818 Posts
Congratulations! One of those is on my list also.

·
Super Moderator
25,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well going to take some inventive work to straighten out some of the steel and the tailgate has some rust-through but that is part of the challenge to do one of these. Need to get some "blasting" material to use on this.

·
Parts collector
2,761 Posts
nice! Can't wait to see the resto on it!

·
Premium Member
9,166 Posts
I seem to see fewer and fewer of them for sale, and the ones that are for sale usually command a hefty price. A few years ago model 80s were around pretty regularly, and as a bonus when I got my first one I came home with a 317 Onan as well! I'm embarrassed to tell you what I paid for my second one.

Good luck with the restoration!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Nice. Too bad the old Stroh's Beer sticker was not salvageable.

·
Super Moderator
10,889 Posts
Congratulations, Tim! That was a nice find. I like the 80 carts as they were way overbuilt. I wouldn't mind having one myself. Knowing you, it's going to look better than new when you're finished with it.

It sounds like the gentleman you bought it from would be a great member to have here. I hope he decides to join us.

·
Super Moderator
25,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, pulled it apart. There were some "strengthening" mods done to it as the rear steel support must've have been pushed pretty hard. The tailgate may be beyond my ability to save, but I'll give it a try just for something to do. Lots of rust-through on the tailgate. The sides have had some pretty good hits rendering the rounded tubes less than round. I'm going to try driving a piece of pipe through them to expand them back out then see if I can more or less use the pipe as a shaping guide to round the side back out. Here are some pics of the tear down:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
25,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I seem to see fewer and fewer of them for sale, and the ones that are for sale usually command a hefty price. A few years ago model 80s were around pretty regularly, and as a bonus when I got my first one I came home with a 317 Onan as well! I'm embarrassed to tell you what I paid for my second one.

Good luck with the restoration!
Steve, quick question if you would, the tongue and axle seem to have some bends in them, do you have any bend on the tongue of your trailer? I wasn't sure if this was part of design as the latch still seemed to work to allow the bed to dump.

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
467 Posts
Tim, Not Steve, but I've got an answer: tongue & axle should be straight. It looks like it may have been overloaded and bent tongue. Thinking the PO may have bent the axle in anticipation of a heavy load...thinking it would straighten when OVER loaded! Bob

·
Super Moderator
25,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bob,

Thanks, I was pretty sure it should be straight, but wanted to check it out with someone who has one. I can tell that there was also a good twist applied at the hitch because the tongue ends are bent, not bad but certainly will have to be straightened out.

Tim

·
Parts collector
2,761 Posts
Steve, quick question if you would, the tongue and axle seem to have some bends in them, do you have any bend on the tongue of your trailer? I wasn't sure if this was part of design as the latch still seemed to work to allow the bed to dump.

Thanks,

Tim
Tim, Not Steve, but I've got an answer: tongue & axle should be straight. It looks like it may have been overloaded and bent tongue. Thinking the PO may have bent the axle in anticipation of a heavy load...thinking it would straighten when OVER loaded! Bob
Yep should be straight. Find the "center" of the bend and mark it, get some wood of 1/2" thickness and put it under each end where the bend stops, then drive your truck over the center of the bend. That should straighten it out and not "over bend" it. If you want you could start with a 1/4" and move to 1/2" so you don't over bend it but I would go for the 1/2" :tango_face_wink:

She is definitely rough, but fixable. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
467 Posts
Tim, I picked up this brass tag cart in the last spring, 2018. Good shape, no bends or twists, tailgate hinge & body latch work perfect! Totally original and appears to have been stored inside...$200 and a 2+ hour drive though the hills of TN & KY. Minor, VERY minor surface rust and I love the aged patina look...NOT gonna repaint!

A couple quick thoughts:
You mentioned you need blasting material, DON'T use black beauty, waay to hard/sharp and fast acting! You're metal looks kinda thin/rusted and black beauty could easily blast through it! Can you get walnut shells? Takes a while, but it will remove rust and expose bare metal for proper prime adhesion.

Is this for "show" or real use? But I guess either way, blast and apply a few coats of sandable primer. Sand & reapply 'til "flat/smooth", then top coat.

Would a muffler expanding tube work for rounding the tubes for the tailgate? Not sure if they're available for tubing that small...just a thought.

Use Never-Sieze or LOTS of grease on elbow for tailgate. Bob

·
Super Moderator
25,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tim, I picked up this brass tag cart in the last spring, 2018. Good shape, no bends or twists, tailgate hinge & body latch work perfect! Totally original and appears to have been stored inside...$200 and a 2+ hour drive though the hills of TN & KY. Minor, VERY minor surface rust and I love the aged patina look...NOT gonna repaint!

A couple quick thoughts:
You mentioned you need blasting material, DON'T use black beauty, waay to hard/sharp and fast acting! You're metal looks kinda thin/rusted and black beauty could easily blast through it! Can you get walnut shells? Takes a while, but it will remove rust and expose bare metal for proper prime adhesion.

Is this for "show" or real use? But I guess either way, blast and apply a few coats of sandable primer. Sand & reapply 'til "flat/smooth", then top coat.

Would a muffler expanding tube work for rounding the tubes for the tailgate? Not sure if they're available for tubing that small...just a thought.

Use Never-Sieze or LOTS of grease on elbow for tailgate. Bob
Not for show, but want to get it "presentable" and useable.

Just picked up some black diamond abrasive for the sandblasting. I will probably start on something a bit more solid and see how it works. I've always used sand in the past and it really doesn't do too much to the metal. I may cut out some of the rusted area and just patch some steel in there to give it some strength, I'm really just learning the metal work side of things since I never had a welder to work with until this year. My old compressor is dying so we'll see how much blasting I get done. It will have to wait till next weekend at least as I'm done for the day now.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts