My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning, the FEL stopped lifting while a friend was using my tractor. Went over and discovered that at idle, it will lift just fine. With the slightest bit of throttle, it will 'lock up' and the tractor will grunt as if it's too much weight. The curl works fine in both directions at all times. I assume it's going to be an o ring of sorts. Any directions you have would be great.

·
21,847 Posts
A possibility is that a hose has failed internally creating a check valve that stops the fluid flow in one direction only. This can happen with either hose at the valve or at the cylinder. Either the fluid can't get into the cylinder, or it can't get out. Either way, the cylinder will mot travel in one direction when the valve is moved and will travel freely in the opposite direction with the valve in the opposite position

The inner liner sometimes gets damaged when the terminations (fittings) are installed on the hose. At some point that damage will allow the fluid to get between the inner liner and the hose carcass forcing the liner to move into the passage through the hose and sealing it off. The damage may happen immediately and be caught when the debris is blown out of the hose with a blast of air, or it may not let loose for several hours, or even several hundred hours, creating the check.

Rate of flow (engine speed) will sometimes determine if and when the check forms. Low flow, such as you noted at engine idle, may not be enough to cause the check, while a higher flow rate will.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can see how that could happen. I guess I can start by taking some hoses off and seeing I get pressure/flow through them.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
if possible can you switch the hoses to swap curl and lift. If the problem switches to curl - it may be your control valve.
if the problem stays on lift, it's downstream of the valve - ie hoses, etc///

1 - 4 of 4 Posts