My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been restoring a 1986 JD 755 tractor this year and I have found some information about replacement parts that I thought the community may benefit from.

Fender Head-light:
• H9406 Wagner Sealed Beam – get at any auto parts store $10-15
• Sealed Beam has two 90 degree male prongs that engage the socket on the wire harness
• Headlight replacement socket (exact match): Pico socket part # 5301PT or 5301C
Available at Summitracing.com for $4.25 or Amazon.com for $7.99 w/free shipping

Fender Tail-light:
• Tail Light bulb: # 906 bulb available at most auto parts stores for $2-$3
13.5volt, 9.3 watts, candlepower: 6, 1000 hour life
• Bulb #194 will also work: 14volt, 0.27Amps, 3.78 Watts, Candlepower: 2, 2500 Hour Life
• Exact tail light socket replacement: NAPA # LS6449 for about $4.77 each

Hood Mounted Head-light:
• Head-light bulb: # 1156 bulb – available at any auto parts store for about $3
• There are a total of 3 bulbs that are held in 3 bulb sockets at the front of the hood
• Access the sockets from inside the open hood behind the lights
• Exact socket replacement: Dorman # 85827, purchased on-line @ Rockauto.com for $4.18 each

Gas Gauge Night Indicator Light:
• Bulb is a # 1895 available at any auto parts store for about $3
• Exact bulb socket replacement is American Autowire # 500127 for about $5-$6 on-line
This socket has 5 metal fingers that fits the 5/8” diameter hole in the back of the gauge
I purchased one at Summitracing.com for $5.40 plus shipping ~$6.50
• Alternate bulb socket: NAPA # LS6225 (has 4 metal fingers but seems to work fine) about $7.20

Tachometer Night Indicator Light:
• Bulb is a # 3898 Miniature bulb, BA7s base 12V, .17Amp, 2.04Watts
Bayonet mount, 7MM diameter, s = single terminal
T-2 European Miniature (BA7s) base
$1.95 at Bulbtown.com
• Could not find the socket for this bulb purchasable separately. It is a specialty item that has a small inner socket that holds the bulb, combined with a larger socket that engages two posts on the outside of the bulb flange on the back of the tachometer.
• I did purchase a new Tachometer and cable from bombergerjd on-line and it came with the bulb, socket and small 4” long 2 wire harness that plugs in to the tractor harness.

Hydrostatic Transmission Neutral Switch:
• Original switch is marked MICRO Part # YZ-2RDS5551-A22
Available through Mouser.com as a special order 3 month lead time for $23.00
• Alternate switch that works fine:
Honeywell part # BZ-2RDS5551-A2
Available on ebay for about $10 with free shipping
This switch has an extra terminal but other than that is an exact water-resistant version like the original.
The switch uses two terminals on the screws marked COMMON and NORMALLY OPEN. The extra terminal marked NORMALLY CLOSED is just not used.

755 Fan Belt:
I purchased a JD replacement fan belt for my 755 tractor ordering the proper JD PN M800313 from a JD Dealer. Dealer listed the belt as effective length: 34.488”, width: 0.433”, thickness: 0.315”, angle: 35.
Dealer price low $20’s.
What I received was a John Deere marked fan belt that was actually manufactured by Bando PN 2345 (9.5mm x 883mm). Once you know this you can search on ebay and find Bando 2345 belts for around $5.

755 Main Drive shaft (between Motor and Hydro) U-Joint:
The proper U-joint is a 1000 series, greaseable, with inside snap rings, Cap OD: .938”, Length: 1.5”
• Proper replacement U-joint is Spicer PN: 5-170X, on ebay for $10-15
• NAPA equivalent: PN: UJ338 $12.99

Attachments

·
Just passing through
8,419 Posts
:thThumbsU

·
Registered
988 Posts
Nice, thank you.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Good to know!. How about some pics of the 755!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks, this will be handy. My 755 had the fender headlights replaced by some generic LED lights. It looks like I'm missing some of the OE bulb mounting brackets, and the remaining studs are totally rusted or broken off. Haven't got around to working on that yet, but would like to. The OE lights would look much better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm looking for a set of LED lights for my 755 fenders. Can you provide any details such as a make or model of your replacements??

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ordered parts for 755 fender lights, thanks

The PO of my 755 installed generic LED lights, and I just didn't care for the look. After finding this post, I researched a lot and couldn't find a viable alternative to ordering new JD mounting hardware, plus the headlight bulbs and sockets you mentioned. After having all the JD numbers in my cart last night, today I see Green Farm Parts is offering 10% off, and my order qualifies for free shipping. So all the mounting hardware cost $68, and I used Discover Card rebate points on Amazon to get the bulbs and sockets for $11.50. I hope that's all the mounting hardware I need- not sure about the mounting studs in this picture, but I can make those from threaded rod if the 6- M91419 screws aren't those. I'll probably find some other use for the LED lights- they do put out a fair amount of light

If I had found some generic lights that filled up the bezel better, I may have gone that route, but I couldn't find 4 x 6 worklights that I could mount in that size hole.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Re: Ordered parts for 755 fender lights, thanks

well, I got all the parts in and had time to work on it a little this afternoon in the shop. Got both bezels out, removed the LED lights, got all of the old springs out, and all the studs but one. Luckily, JD used brass nuts
mounted down in the bezel, so even though the studs were rusty, patience and several soakings with penetrating oil worked wonders. The one that broke off is the lower one in my picture, where some water apparently collected. There's still a small nub I might be able to grab onto, but it's down in that hole in the bezel and hard to get to. I decided more patience and soaking with penetrating oil was worth it, and I'll get on it again later. I looked up the price for those black bezels, and they're $70 each. I can make something work out with this one stud.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts