My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
JD 755 rebuild to rebuilt
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a recently rebuilt JD 755 I went to engage the PTO for the first time today, but it would not engage. I did some investigation and here is what I know. on the PTO lever it uses a magnet tied to the seat safety switch to engage the PTO. When the electro magnet is on it holds to the PTO lever and engages the PTO in the transmission.

I manually held the two together and tried to engage the PTO to make sure it works. (it does) the magnet holds to the lever but then pops of when you try to engage it. the magent is maintaining power but apears to not be strong enough to stay attached to the PTO lever.
Any ideas, thoughts or people with experiance in this? Thanks

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
First, be sure the magnet is getting a full 12 volts. If not it won't be strong enough to hold. If voltage is good, then several things can be wrong.
1) magnet coil is bad.
2) be sure magnet can pivot enough to maintain flat contact with pto engagement arm.
3)linkage going back to transmission may be binding, making it too stiff to move and magnet can't hold on. usually this gets tight where shaft goes through the transmission case.

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, last night I un hooked the wire to the magnet and checked it for voltage. I have 12V going to the magnet. The plate that the magnet makes contact with can swivel so I did not see where is was not making contact. I can manually move the linkage and its travel seems smooth with even resistiance.

Is the coil you refer to in the magent its self or is it another part I have not seen.? Thank you for all the help. It is most apreaciated. :thanku:

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have a 955 and had the same problem. My 50 cent fix (though not nearly as safe as the magnet option) was to replace the magnet assembly with a bent bolt and 2 nuts that lock against the aluminum lever. Please keep in mind that this is not recommended for safety reasons but can be done while you are waiting for a new magnet coil to arrive if you have that job that just "has" to be done.

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there an external coil for the magnet or is it an intergal part of the magnet. If so where is it located? Thanks

·
Registered
157 Posts
The magnet is a self contained unit.... no external coil. Located near the base of the engaging lever. It's #7 in the diagram.

PTO engage.JPG

·
Registered
183 Posts
Also, I have been doing some research (since I don't want to pay the JD Price of $127) for the magnet and I think I have found a suitable replacement. I will most likely order it next week and will keep everyone posted, but the manufacturer is Magnetool and the part number is EM-R125, price $39

This will most likely require me to transfer the connector from my old magnet to the new one but that should be pretty easy.

·
Registered
157 Posts
[rant]You know .... it amazes me that we are even here at all. How did our parents and grandparents even survive long enough to have children without government regulations and mandates to save us from ourselves??? Anyone here remember when you just excercised a little common sense when operating machinery... and if an accident did happen, you took responsibility for your own actions instead of sueing everyone in sight?:1106:

sorry.... [/rant]

·
Registered
183 Posts
I stopped by my tractor this morning and took a picture of my "unsafe" temporary fix. What you cannot see from this picture is the matching jamb nut on the other side of the aluminum bracket. It is basically about a 3" long bolt that has been inserted through the lever and bent to line up with the hole in the aluminum bracket. I then used the old magnet and the magnet plate to determine the distance and cut it just long enough to allow me to put a nut on each side of the aluminum plate. It works like a charm. Keep in mind though, that with the PTO lever engaged and getting off the tractor, starting the tractor, etc, the PTO keeps running.

Also, I did measure the magnet last night and it is indeed the same size as the one I mentioned above so I will be ordering the $39 version this week.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts