My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
still getting used to the 755. The primary reason I got it is to manage my 450' gravel driveway, ditches, plow snow off the driveway, etc. However, I'm hitting a snag trying to tilt my basic rear blade to do ditch work. My only other tractor had a 3 pt hitch cobbled together from aftermarket parts, including a generic adjustable lift arm. It was easy to tilt the blade. Am I missing something with this hitch setup (pictured)? Looks like you have to disconnect the lift arms to adjust them. I'm not sure how to use what seems to be an adjustment handle on the left arm. It's notched to fit into the fork below it, and other wise is loose; you can't adjust the arm with it. I watch a YouTube for a much larger blade that tilts, etc, while the hitch arms stay level, but I've got a simple blade.

For tilting a rear blade, do I need to get an appropriate-length adjustable lift arm, where you turn the barrel-body to tilt the hitch? Anybody got a good source for those? Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if you slide the butterfly handle up, it's loose and does nothing. If it were attached to that middle rod, it could turn it, but it's not and doesn't appear that it could or should be.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
I'm having trouble following your question. The lift arms are for raising and lowering. Usually the tilt of the blade is handled by adjusting the toplink, not the lift arms. Blade angle is usually adjusted on the blade itself.

So what is it you are trying to adjust by changing the length of the lift arms?

I love those 755s.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm having trouble following your question. The lift arms are for raising and lowering. Usually the tilt of the blade is handled by adjusting the toplink, not the lift arms. Blade angle is usually adjusted on the blade itself.

So what is it you are trying to adjust by changing the length of the lift arms?

I love those 755s.:thThumbsU

I'm not trying to change the foarward/back tilt of the blade, like you do with the top link. I'm trying to drop or raise one end of the blade, so that the blade angles down on one end, for cutting out a ditch, for example. I see large blades adjust that way on the blade, but I have just a simple low-end Land Pride blade
https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/land-pride-rb0560-82?cm_mmc=Google-_-PRODUCTFEED-_-LAND PRIDE-_-RB0560-82&CAWELAID=600009240005417460&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=49018029240&CATCI=pla-360690838511&catargetid=600009240005417493&cadevice=c&gclid=Cj0KCQjw7sDlBRC9ARIsAD-pDFq_LwY3gLbdHPgZFJWmwmEjtZgehoa8SNOrTlTqeZTkijMw20LUly0aArVREALw_wcB

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
I'm not trying to change the foarward/back tilt of the blade, like you do with the top link. I'm trying to drop or raise one end of the blade, so that the blade angles down on one end, for cutting out a ditch, for example. I see large blades adjust that way on the blade, but I have just a simple low-end Land Pride blade
https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/land-pride-rb0560-82?cm_mmc=Google-_-PRODUCTFEED-_-LAND PRIDE-_-RB0560-82&CAWELAID=600009240005417460&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=49018029240&CATCI=pla-360690838511&catargetid=600009240005417493&cadevice=c&gclid=Cj0KCQjw7sDlBRC9ARIsAD-pDFq_LwY3gLbdHPgZFJWmwmEjtZgehoa8SNOrTlTqeZTkijMw20LUly0aArVREALw_wcB

Ahh, okay, gotcha.

I do not have a good suggestion (other than to get a blade that has rotation in that axis :tango_face_grin:), but did want to comment that it appears you have the optional "high lift" 3PH on your 755. I am not certain of that, but yours is different than others I've seen and I am aware that there was an oem option for a high lift variant. What year is your 755?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Looks like you are missing a small pin. When you lift the handle, there should be a hole with a pin in the center shaft which slides inside the handle. Will add a picture if I can figure out how to.
Cheers

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mystery solved, sorta. Looked up high capacity hitch

and there is indeed a spring pin in the shaft, where the butterfly handle is. Also, my lift arms are reversed according to the diagram, but that doesn't matter.

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/66727/referrer/navigation/pgId/14560409

Upon closer examination, found the sheared-off pin, covered by grime. Problem is, a spring pin is not strong enough for that butterfly handle to fit over and extend or shorten the lift arm. I'm still missing something about how JD intended this to work. There's definitely no hole in the butterfly handle for a pin to go through. Only those square notches on the bottom, which seem to be design to turn the bottom fork, not the center shaft "lift link" in diagram. And with a spring pin in the hole, you'd have to remove that if you did want to turn the lower fork with the butterfly handle. Something's not right. I'm going to Tractor Supply for a couple things, maybe I can find a roughly 3/16 pin strong enough to not be sheared off if I try to turn the center "lift link" with the butterfly handle.

I still think I need something like the adjustable arm in this picture, but I don't understand why JD didn't provide for that in this apparently premium-version 3 pt hitch.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think the only thing is your broken pin. It is not spring loaded. That pin slides in the center of the butterfly handle, not in the locking notch.
The pin extends through to the other side. Just take a small punch and punch it out, make a new pin. You may have to take the arm off and remove the rust so it turns easily. I have a 955 with the same set up. If you look in the center of the handle, you will see an opening on each side of the shaft where the pin slides. I tried to upload a picture up not computer smart.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The pin is 37mm or 1.455" long.
5mm/.200" or 13/64" dia.

I also noticed that your wheel appear to be mounted for narrow track. If you use the 3pth it may rub on the tires, so just turn them inside out, which will give you more room for the arms.
Looks like you have a nice machine. I'm sure once you get it going you will be very happy

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh, now I see. the ends of the pin slide in those channels where the ears of the handle stick out. Now it all makes sense. I bought 3/16 spring clips at Tractor Supply, but they are a little too small in diameter. JD calls for a spring clip, which has a gap down the side and with the gap it's larger than the hole, so when you tap it in, the gap compresses and it stays in place. May have to buy that from JD if I can't find a better selection than my Tractor Supply. Thanks for your help.

The wheels are turned out wide, maybe that's just how the picture looks. Seems to be a nice tractor so far, shows a little wear and tear. Other projects are to fix a broken hour meter (tach works), fix the fuel gauge, and track down a leak that sprays on the RH side panel. Not sure if it's diesel from the fuel filter/fuel line, or maybe a little rear main seal leak. It's a small leak, drips on the ground black but is more clear on the side panel. Also got new JD Hygard Low Viscosity fluid to change; it's got some whine, and maybe this will help. The fluid in there looks clean on the dipstick.

Thanks again, this site is great.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think the only thing is your broken pin. It is not spring loaded. That pin slides in the center of the butterfly handle, not in the locking notch.
The pin extends through to the other side. Just take a small punch and punch it out, make a new pin. You may have to take the arm off and remove the rust so it turns easily. I have a 955 with the same set up. If you look in the center of the handle, you will see an opening on each side of the shaft where the pin slides. I tried to upload a picture up not computer smart.
BTW, the way I post a picture is to e-mail it from my phone, where I can open it on my laptop and download it. Then I minimize the e-mail app enough to see some home page. I drag and drop the picture to the home page (click on it and hold down the button to move this picture over), then open my reply on here, and drag and drop again to the field below here where it says Drag and Drop Upload. It'll light up when you've got the picture in there, let go of the mouse button and it will drop right in. Give it a try.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to all the comments, my 3 pt hitch problems are over. I bought 2- 5mm pins that were about an inch long. Cut 1/4" off of each, so they meet in the middle of the shaft, and extend out to fill the channels in the butterfly handle. Works great, plenty of angle adjustment now. Got my 5 ft box blade out for the first time ever and working on getting used to it. Angled it down and cleaned out a ditch, also ran it almost level to smooth out the gravel driveway. I don't think the 2wd/turf tires 755 is going to have enough traction to use all the rippers, but it seems to do fine with a fairly loaded box blade. The box blade seems to be way better than the simple rear blade I have been using.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts