My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well yesterday id thought id go cut some firewood with my new to me 650.i hookes up to a top and tryed to pull it out.not happening all 4 wheels just spun digging to china .i almost got her stuck.im thinking i need a bigger tractor.now im concerned this cut is underpowered for my needs.will it run my 4ft bush hog allright.and what about a 4 ft tiller.i dont whant to buy a tiller and the 650 not have enough guts to run it.where do i get a manual for it and where is the hydro filter located.i love the tractor as ive spent hours on it getting into top shape.:dunno:weather to keep it or go for a bigger tractor

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,318 Posts
The 650 is a very capable machine. I ran one a number a years ago for a couple of summers and was very pleased with the way it performed.

It will handle a 4 ft. brush hog and tiller with ease. The only trouble with the brush hog it had is when the grass or brush was extremely thick and matted. When that happened, reduced ground speed and/or two passes was all that was needed.

For manuals, I would try either http://techpubs.deere.com or Ebay. Those are about the only sources I know of.

The hydraulic filter is located in the bottom of the transmission. This is actually a pick up screen and it is washable and reusable. It is number 23 in this diagram:

Some of the X50 series tractors also have an automotive style screw on filter located under the right hand side floor board. Yours may or may not have one there.

We'd love to see some pics of the machine. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info on the screen/filter how many gallons of hydro fluid does it takeand what type.i checked it yesterday and it looked prety clean.its got ag tires allway around. i realy need to get a headlight socket /harnes for the right side.i noticed it missing yesterday.cant seam to find one .its a discontinued part a jd any body got a spare they can part with:praying:.i guess im asking too much from the ol gal to pull 20 ft tops out.ill have to leave it to the ih 806.ill post some picts soon the snow is falling like heck here.it needs to be a sunny day to show here real good looks.i have a belly mower and was wondering how it mounts .i have to take the plow frame off i know it seams im missing something there.thanks all

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,318 Posts

·
All-around nice guy
1,313 Posts
The right side headlight harness(item #4 in diagram) is part number CH18028.
According the the parts page, it's no longer available(NLA). It's possible a large dealer may have NOS(new, old stock). Also, you may be able to make this up with parts from a Auto Parts store. If you have the Left Harness, remove it and bring it with you.

·
Registered
157 Posts
If the tires are spinning like you've described, power isn't your issue... it's traction. If power was the problem, the tires wouldn't spin but you'd stall the tractor. Are you using any kind of ballast? Filled tires? Tire chains?

·
No Bozo's
127 Posts
What surface are you slipping on?

I have ag's on my 750 and it'll chew through pretty much anything. If soft enough it indeed will dig down. But that for me ha been an issue of too much weight in the wrong place. I have to be careful to balance front to rear weight and I have gotten it out of axle deep mud.

If you're pulling you may need to throw some weight up front?

Also if it's that mucky nothing may be able to get through it.

I have an 8n that gets stuck easily being clunky and 2wd. However it's shear size has been a plus at times. I also have a 650 with turfs on the front and mixed use tires on the rear. It gets stuck very easily. The lack of tread on both front and rear make it a dry only machine.The 750 with ag's front and rear has been buried a number of times including today and I have yet to have to pull it out. I was digging out a drainage ditch today and it was muddy. I have a whole bunch of deep ruts in the field now but it got itself out every time by playing with weight transfer and rocking and making sure I had the right grea and the rear diff locked.

Your 650 can do it too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts