My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
JD Green all the way~!
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 650 did not come with a roll bar when I bought it. Thinking it might be a good idea/investment if I did have one, just in case ya know.

There is one I found for sale. They do not for sure know what it came off of, so they have it labeled as fitting 650-950 tractors.

Looking at my 650, I do not know for sure where it bolts to. I was wondering if there was somebody with a 650 (of very similar model) who could be nice enough to post a few pictures of their roll bar, and how it mounts up so I can measure my tractor and see if this one will work or not.

I apperciate any help. :wwp:

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts

·
22,321 Posts

·
22,321 Posts
Another UPDATE:

Looking at this diagram from JD, it looks like number 7 "spacer" gets removed to add the roll bar.

·
JD Green all the way~!
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That helps, thanks!

The one I found is on Ebay. I called and asked the guy what truck freight would run and its only $86.17 shipped. Current price of it is $200.00, more than I kinda wanted to spend for something that I don't really need.

Called my buddy at Deere, and he said new they sell for $498.00 and includes the seat belts. Made to order, because they quit "production" of them back in 1988.

What do you guys think? Get it or pass? I know its a safety thing and all...but where I will be using this tractor, its pretty **** flat here.

~F~

·
22,321 Posts
I would definitely put it on. Especially if you have a loader.

Even using a brush hog mower, they are heavy enough that if you drop a wheel in a hole and have that mower swing to the other side of the tractor can be enough to turn one on its side.

What's a few hundred dollars for a one time premium life insurance policy?

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
I guess it boils down to this. Are you really going to use it or is it one of those things once you get it you wish you hadn't spent the money on it. I use mine when using the FEL and mowing on the hills. I would say mine is used about 25% of the time and the rest of the time I have mine folded down. slkpk

·
JD Green all the way~!
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It would be on there all the time, and would prefer NOT to "use it" ya know. LOL

I do not have a FEL yet, but will some day in the future. I do have a bush hog mower, and you make a good point with a wheel slipping or falling into a hole.

Perhaps...I might get it just to be on the safe side. I'll place a bid, and see what happens.

~F~

·
JD Green all the way~!
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I called and talked to the seller again. He stated the I.D. measurement between the mounting plates was 15 3/4". I measured my 650 transmission and its 8 5/8". He said he would put the squeeze on the bar and see how much it can move and call me back. I also asked him to look at the mounting plates for a stamped part number on it by chance.

In the mean time, I called my friend at the local dealer and kinda described it to him, and how different it looked than what I think it should and right away he said that bar will only fit 655, 755, and 855 tractors.

I waited for the guy to call me back, and he lets me know that it will only move inwards to 13 3/4" so no dice for me, and the warning sticker that is still on the bar reads what tractors it is compatible with, 655, 755, 855 and a couple of others. He said he must of had his blinders on that day, but he was going into ebay right then and there to update and change what tractors it fits. So he helped me answering my questions, and I helped him by finding out what it really does fit.

I did my good deed for the day. :thanku:

~F~

·
Playin' In The Dirt Again
192 Posts
Hello GR8RacingFool.

I do have a JD-750 with a JD manufactured/branded roll bar. It says on it that it was made for 650/750 tractors. Here are a couple of snapshots of the tractor with the roll bar showing. If you need additional images from some specific angle, or if you want measurements, I can probably help too.

Happy day.

·
JD Green all the way~!
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yup, 650's and 750's both share the same parts for this.

Good news, in digging this up from the past, I finally found and bought me one. :fing32:

Seller on Ebay had one listed for $500.00, obviously it didn't sell. I contacted him afterwords, and we worked a deal for the R.O.P. and a free canopy he was going to throw in. Got it shipped up from Georgia to me in a couple of days, probably wont use the canopy it came with.

Looking at how it bolts on, and this picture:

I am needing numbers 9, and 10 to install it. I checked with the dealer, and WOW was I shocked. #9 is no longer made, and #10 I can still get, but for $225.00 I think he said...EACH! The seller cannot locate them, nor remembers ever seeing them.

Looking at another 650's pictures online, and how all that bolts up, I am for sure going to need #10, two or both of them for each side. #9 is not that critical to its installment, but if its made to be bolted to the ROP, then it probably needs to be there to stiffen it up, and keep it from flexing in the event of a roll.

I have access to a well equipped machine shop, these are flat pieces of steel with holes in them, VERY easy to fabricate them. I don't think I would have a problem making them. It would be AWESOME if I could get my hands on those original parts for a week or so so I could measure them, and trace them, to reproduce them myself. Sure as **** a lot cheaper than I could buy them from the dealer for, if I could even buy them.

I have called 6 different salvage yards with no luck. Those that even had 650's, and were even equipped with a ROP, they have sold the ROP long ago, and all the needed parts went with it. I have found that its not a common tractor to be, or find parted out. That's a good thing...and a bad thing ya know.

Wondering if a member with a 650/750 would be willing, and super freaking awesome into helping out a fellow member. Would you be willing and able to remove those parts, and measure the thickness, and trace the parts onto some paper/shoe box thickness card board for me? I would gladly pay you for your time, and effort, and of course shipping of the traced patterns to me so I can make them from scratch. Maybe while the machines are set up, I might make a few more...just in case somebody runs into this later down the road.

Kinda in a rut here, any help would be appreciated.

~F~

·
JD Green all the way~!
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well the seller got with the guy he bought the roll bar from. He bought it at his yard sale. The guy removed it off his 650 back in 1983 he said so it could fit in his shed.

They found the bolts for the roll bar, but the other pieces are still "missing".

Well turns out, the other pieces are still bolted on his tractor. :banghead3 He thinks they are there to hold the tractor together, and wont take them off. I sent him pictures of my tractor and showed what a 650 looks like that NEVER has had a roll bar installed on it. He sent me a picture to my cell phone of the guys tractor, and yup, there they are. #9 clear as day. He wont take it off cause then he wont be able to use his PTO shield. I told him probably so, but I will GIVE him my PTO shield adapter plate off my tractor to use on his, in place of that big, expensive #9 plate.

No answer yet. :praying:

Mean time, heading to the machine shop here in a little bit to dig through the scrap pile and see if there any steel in the thickness I need or can use/machine down to size for the two #10's I need. The #9 plate, worse case, the dealer located a brand new one at a supplier that bought inventory from a dealer that went out of business. Their new asking price is $160.00. That's good compared to brand new from the Dealer-dealer ya know. I found a junk yard that has a used one for $155.00 (Wengers in PA)....that's expensive. I'll probably have to just end up buying that new one, so I don't have to fabricate one.

But I'll for sure have to fabricate my own #10's so if anyone can still help, and get a trace of them on some thick paper/poster board, and some rough measurements of the hole placement, and thickness of the steel and I believe one, or two lower holes is tapped too (M16 X 50 bolt) if I am not mistaken.

~F~

·
22,321 Posts
That is a very reasonable off to trade the PTO shield. Let's hope that he'll take it. :fing32:

·
JD Green all the way~!
1,312 Posts
I am thinking I can fabricate that #9 plate easily enough, and cheaper than I can but it for, even at $160.00 new. Same thing with the two #10's.

There is a 4WD 650 at the local JD Dealer up the street from my house with the ROP on it. Its for sale...I see all that I need...maybe I can sweet talk the guys into letting me take off the parts and borrow them for the weekend to copy them at the machine shop, then bring them back and reinstall them. I have exhausted all the salvage yards I could find that deal in CUT's, and searched endlessly for anything else online...with no luck...that might be my only option ya know.

Since the original-original owner is a old hard XXX. LOL

~F~

·
22,321 Posts
It's worth a shot. Hopefully the dealer will work with you and not see dancing dollar signs.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I should be able to get to mine tomorrow. I'll let you know. Last week I had plans to work on mine. We went out to celebrate my dad officially on Remission. He has been fighting with Chemo since July last year and we just got the news.

I plan on working on my loader installation, I still need to pull the fender on one side. You have to pull the fenders just to get the bolts out of the ROPS. They are way to long.

I still need to figure out how to tap into the hydraulic system for the loader... The pictures I see online on some show lines comping from the back of the tractor...I'm confused.

·
JD Green all the way~!
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Congrats on your dad!

My sister, who's only 32, is fighting some bad cancer herself. Her and my mom are down in Mexico right now getting treatment, because all the US doctors gave up, and just don't want to help anymore.

Ya, I bought the bolts to attach my ROP to my tractor, and noticed they were long, and sat one in there and it touched the fender, so figured you had to drop the fenders for the installment.

I can help you on the location to tap into for the hydraulic lines.

I contacted Woods about their loader, and they said the LS84 loader fits the 650 tractor but only if it does not have power steering. You will need to contact the area Woods dealer for price they added.

They sent me a PDF file on the installment of their loader, because I questioned the power steering, and the installment of their loader. The ports on the back you tap into for the loader, would be the same ports used for power steering. Why you cant just run both, using a tee fitting is beyond me.

Here is a picture where they tap into the hydraulics for their loader.

~F~

·
JD Green all the way~!
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What loader are you installing?

I have only found Westendorf, and Woods for aftermarket fits, other than JD originals. I have read that the JD #60 and #70 will fit the 650s, and a guy at the dealer suggested if you CAN find a #70, to go with that because its better built than the #60.

So far I m sold on the Westendorf loader because its a quick attach/detach. Everyone I talked to said it was worth the extra money to get that feature.

Then there is a cheep little $1,800.00 loader some outfit is making that's a bolt on for the 650. It looks cheep, and probably is. They are selling them on Ebay. I asked them a few questions, and they didn't sound like they wanted to work with you as a customer all that well. That's the vibe I got from them anyway.

~F~

·
Registered
218 Posts
I didn't get to the tractor again... Last night a friend of mine finally called me to tell me he was coming over to do some work on my house. Sucked I didn't get to work on the Deere. But, I did sell my Gravely 20 G to him. Hopefully tomorrow is going to work out. Thanks for clearing up how the hydraulics work.

Ohh and I was told the 70 Loader is for the 750 and up. The 60 and 67 were for the 650. The 67 is much bigger looking, I bet one of them probably the 60 is only designed to fit with the midmount mower.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Ohh and I send Well wishes to your sister in Mexico. My dad has Mantlecell Lymphoma. He went through one heck of a Chemo Treatment. He spent DAYS on Chemo some of the worst stuff they give. Most people take that stuff for a few hours. He is happy to be in remission. So we will see how long he will be there. There is reports of up to 10 years with his treatment. So we are holding strong. Hope everything works out for your Sister...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts