My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seen a 3 yr old 595 today in a trader paper 340hrs one owner 62" deck 4x4
dsl that might be the only way they were speced just quoteing the add . Anyway he,s asking $7000 or BO. Is this the predesesor of the 748 ? I haven't seen it but he says its garage keep an well serviced . Whats a machine like this worth .

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks not much difference in it an a 748 . The owner did say his was not a SE . He,s out of town right now I,ll see it monday .

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Considering the MSRP on the x748 is over $13K, the $7K for the x595 doesn't sound horrible. You can contact your bank or credit union to get an average resale value.

Also search member slkpk's posts regarding his x585 (the gas version). I recall his mentioning his trade in allowance towards his 2305, just not sure how much it was.

The hours do seem high for a 3 year old machine. Did the P.O. have a lot of acreage? If he used it commercially, you might insist on a health check by the dealer.

·
USMC
19,144 Posts
The X595 was the forerunner to the X748. To me the 340 hrs is about average if you use it year around like I do. I had 390 hrs on my X585SE when I traded it 3 years old and my 2305 has 311 hrs in 27 months. If properly maintained the hours are no problem as those are built to last. What I like on the X500 series compared to the X700 series is there isn't any electric front drive motors on the steer axle. Just a 4 WD lever. Just something less to go wrong with. However with the X700 series there is less lawn damage when in 4WD because of the electric motors and the way the front wheel drive works. I think when you get into the larger GT & SCUT the 50 hour rule doesn't apply to well IMO. slkpk

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
slkpk how much did they allow you for trade in . Of course sometimes thats not a true guage because it changes what they ask for the new one . I,m sure you like the 2305 there nice I tryed one out but how would you compare
the ride of the two when mowing ? Also does the x500 series have the trans oil filter in a vonerable location like the 2305 ?

·
JD RULES
1,025 Posts
What I like on the X500 series compared to the X700 series is there isn't any electric front drive motors on the steer axle. Just a 4 WD lever.
Hi slkpk ,

I thought you made a mistake and was thinking of the X749 , then I went to
JD site and seen the X748 also had the front motors , I did'nt know that , I
thought the X748 was identical to the X595 , I missed that somehow , they
say you learn on this site and you proved it today , thanks ...

Later,x595

·
USMC
19,144 Posts
I traded in March 2007 and they gave me $11500 for trade in all of the goodies hydraulic MC519 cart & powerflo, Original Cab & 54 front blade with front quick hitch with hydraulics & 3PH. It was a good deal several K more than anyone else. If I remember right the hydro filter was mounted on the front side of the lower right transaxle case. I've found nothing that beats the ride the X585SE gave me. I think with the HDAP tires and the SE seat it's tough to beat the ride on the X series. The SE package was the spoked wheels, front brush guard, front fenders and SE seat. You can get the same SE seat on ebay for around $400 only it's grey instead of yellow. I think Michigan seat is the maker of the SE seat for JD. You can always trick out that X595 and you will have that a very long time. Those are built to last. The diesel has the oil drain plug on the bottom of the engine instead of the front like the Kawaski had if I remember right. The top u-joint on the X series is a bear to get too. Thats the only thing Ireally didn't like about the X585SE I had. Everything else was top shelf. slkpk

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,654 Posts
Hi slkpk ,

I thought you made a mistake and was thinking of the X749 , then I went to
JD site and seen the X748 also had the front motors , I did'nt know that , I
thought the X748 was identical to the X595 , I missed that somehow , they
say you learn on this site and you proved it today , thanks ...

Later,x595
Starting with the '09 models, the X748's front drive is like the X749, it's full time 4WD, and it's hydraulic, not electric. My '08 748SE is part-time 4WD, it has a lever next to the tool box on the right fender that engages/disengages the front drive, which is driven by a shaft from the HST. The 748 is the 'next generation' of the 595. Pretty much the same animal, some minor differences in inst. panel gauges is about the only difference I can tell. There are refinements, but mainly the same machine.

340 hrs. is about right for a machine like that at that age. Someone who buys one of these is going to use it more than the average homeowner. I just turned 182 hrs on mine, and I've only had it 8-1/2 months. I wouldn't consider myself a commercial user, but I do mow a few lawns for extra $$$$ in addition to my own property.

The part-time 4WD, when engaged, increases the turning radius just slightly compared to when it is disengaged. But I'll tell you what, with 4WD and the rear axle diff lock, there's not much that will stop this tractor.

My oil drain is at the bottom of the oil pan, on the right side. It has a brass fitting that allows you to connect a plastic tube about 3/4" diameter, so you can drain the oil into a container without having to let it drip across the front drive shaft.

I got the 54C deck with mine, but sort of wish I had gone with either the 62C deck or coughed up some more bucks and gotten the 60" 7-iron deck. At $7000 and those hours, it sounds like a fair deal. Like slkpk said, the new ones are over $13K

·
JD RULES
1,025 Posts
Starting with the '09 models, the X748's front drive is like the X749, it's full time 4WD, and it's hydraulic, not electric. My '08 748SE is part-time 4WD, it has a lever next to the tool box on the right fender that engages/disengages the front drive, which is driven by a shaft from the HST. The 748 is the 'next generation' of the 595. Pretty much the same animal, some minor differences in inst. panel gauges is about the only difference I can tell. There are refinements, but mainly the same machine
Hi KHodges ,

Thanks for clearing that up , (I did'nt think I was loosing it) because I
thought I remember reading they were the same except for some dash light
changes , but I missed reading the change about the 2009 models ...

Later,x595

1 - 10 of 10 Posts