My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So.. I noticed a neighbor new to the neighborhood mowing their large yard with a tiny walk behind.. I’ve talked with them they have no mechanical skill and I don’t have time to teach and they don’t have the time to learn.. I got a John Deere 56 free from a friend.. and am going to bring it back to life and give it to the neighbors.. my good deed of the month..
While taking it apart I noticed fuel tank sits right above the carburetor.. fuel line is approximately 2 inches.. 50 years ago that made sense since there were less additives in the fuel and shut off valves we’re not completely necessary.. fuel today i put filters and shut offs on everything that runs..
Being said fuel tank has to be repositioned.. problem I’m trying to work around is fiberglass casing which is under the seat but acts as cover for engine.
The way I see it is I can’t mount a bracket for fuel tank on the 50 year old fiberglass for obvious reasons. I can’t put holes in fiberglass to mount bracket to the frame.. because seat and cover won’t flip up. Though possible to mount to a seat in theory I would have to consider fuel line length when seat is flipped up approximately 2 feet which would be difficult to route when seat is down.. finally can’t mount on back end because of possibility someone backs into something, and because as a RER the JD 56 has option of standing up on back end.
Only option I’m seeing is removing fiberglass.. but then it poses the problem of any loose clothing getting caught in the chain.. creating a guard wouldn’t be difficult.. but taking fiberglass which is in perfect condition with original decals would be a shame for a 50 year old little beast..
Looking for ideas or possible options I might have overlooked

·
Registered
2008 John Deere LA135
380 Posts
Just get a piece of fuel hose rated for ethanol and mount the tank where it was. I see no reason to reinvent the wheel.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts