My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2008 JD 5525 that has about 2700 hours. Here lately we have been having fuel problems. What happens is when I speed the rpm's up to 1800 or above, it will lose power and start spitting and sputtering and blow out white smoke. Sometimes if I let off the foot pedal, it will not idle down for a few seconds. It happens more frequent when going uphill. It has never died when this happened. If I do not go above 1800 rpm's, it will not happen.

We have changed both the inline filter and the main fuel filter and it did not help. We have just switched to a different fuel company and it seems to be worse. But it still happened with the other fuel as well just not as bad.

I don't think it has done this from day one but it has been doing this awhile. We have had John Deere come and look at it under warranty and they could not find anything wrong.

Another problem we have been having is with the clutch. Whenever we use the clutch alot, it will not move and the red warning light on the dash will start flashing and beeping. To get it to move again, I just have to push the clutch in and out several times.

·
life is good
1,048 Posts
Is there an outlet on your fuel tank where the hose comes out?
If so open that up and see if you're getting full flow. Not sure if JD checked that.
Also not sure if you have an internal fuel pump, but that may have gone bad.
We've had a problem like that and found some "stuff" in the actual area where you screw your filter onto.
Hope that might help.

·
life is good
1,048 Posts
What red light comes on?
The low trans presure one?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will check on that hose. I don't think it has an internal pump but not sure. I will check around the filter next time we change it.

For the light, it is the power reverser light, a circle with an exclamation point inside of it.

·
life is good
1,048 Posts
You won't see the gink around the filter, you should be able to seperate the housing, thats where the problem could be.
Hmm I'll check on dtech for the clutch problem and ask a few friends.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How big of a deal is it to separate the housing?

I really appreciate the help. John Deere came down a while back and plugged the computer into the tractor and it did not throw any codes back. Going by that nothing is wrong but something isn't right.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I agree with farm tech about checking the fuel flow from the bottom of the tank. While you disconnect the hose, I would recommend replacing the rubber hose from the bottom of the tank to the prefilter and from there to the main filter. I have seen these hoses dry rot and crack. then it lets air into the system.
The clutch is operated by a switch and potentiometer hooked to the pedal under the console. I would check under there to see if all is correct. Maybe you have a loose connection since cycling the pedal will bring it back to life.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
When going uphill, the engine is under a greater load and demands more fuel. If the fuel is restricted, it will starve for fuel quicker.

·
life is good
1,048 Posts
On your clutch system, is there any way some dirt or something got into the system?
Going uphill would possibly bring something back in the resivior to block the sump screen.
The sump screen is located under the tractor in the "pipe" that goes from the sump to the back axle. If you drain the oil and remove the pipe there is a screen that is in the resivior, check that out. Or have JD come out with a flow meter for the hydraulics, there could be a restriction or a faulty pump. These will not show up on the computer codes. Trust me on that one lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What does the hydraulics have to do with the fuel or clutch problem? The clutch is not hydraulic is it?

·
life is good
1,048 Posts
Yeah the clutch runs on the hydraulic unit.
JD uses the one fluid/resivor system, even your brakes are wet brakes. If you look at your owners manual it will tell you to use a hydro/trans oil.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did not realize that. If the brakes are hydraulic, then how do they work with the tractor shut off?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
The brakes are hydraulic, but they are not "power" brakes. The brake disks run in oil, so they are "wet" brakes. They have a master cylinder similar in design to a car, only there is a split system. One brake pedal for each wheel. The brake pedal pushes a piston that in turn pushes oil through a steel line to the rear brake piston. The master cylinder (brake valve) is filled from return oil from the steering circuit.

·
life is good
1,048 Posts
Your brakes technically don't work with the tractor off.
You may feel pressure when you depress the pedal, but that's the pressure that was built up before the engine/pump was shut off.
You set the parking brake or leave it in gear (never the best idea).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The brakes do work with the tractor shut off, it will not let it roll with the pedals pressed. It does not have a parking brake, you put it park like a vehicle. We do not leave in it gear when we shut it off.

·
life is good
1,048 Posts
The brakes are hydraulic, but they are not "power" brakes. The brake disks run in oil, so they are "wet" brakes. They have a master cylinder similar in design to a car, only there is a split system. One brake pedal for each wheel. The brake pedal pushes a piston that in turn pushes oil through a steel line to the rear brake piston. The master cylinder (brake valve) is filled from return oil from the steering circuit.
That's the best explination there. :thanku::trink39:

And yes park is always the best.:fing32:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The fuel problem is getting alot worse. Just driving around empty, it spits and sputters and blows white smoke at any rpm now. When I try to speed up, it will just spit and sputter. It does not want to go past 1600 rpm's.

I got thinking that the fuel is bad. We just switched companies and it started right after that. Here is the deal, we was with company 1 for a long time. Well we started having problems with them mainly with the John Deere being a newer tractor. Called them up and they said alot of people with John Deere's were complaining. They told us to switch until they got the problems figured out. So we switched to company 2 for a while. Everything was running fine. Well we decided to give company 1 a chance again since they were a little bit cheaper. We called them and they said they got the problem sorted out. Now it looks like they are still having problems.

That is why I think it is just bad fuel. Because as soon as I filled it up with company 1's fuel, it started acting up. But the thing is when I filled it up, it still had 3/4 of a tank of company 2's fuel in it.

We are chopping silage right now and to get through, I drained the fuel and went to the gas station down the road that sells diesel and filled the John Deere up with that thinking that would fix it. That did not help a darn thing. It is slowly getting worse and worse. I also changed the main fuel filter. I wish I checked the hoses coming from the tank when I had it drained. Did not think about it and really did not have time.

On the in-line filter, do you need to get that through John Deere or can you go to a auto parts store and get one? Why does it have 2 filters anyways?

·
life is good
1,048 Posts
Do you have a water seperator on your fuel filter?

As to the inline you should be able to get that at any parts store. I'm still thinking there is a restriction in the system somewhere. What percent os their bio mix in the deisel? That could also be a minor part of ypur problem. Not all jd engines are made to run on some of the higher mixes. Like our 9560 sts it isn't a teir 3 engine, so it requiers a fuel additive/conditioner that our dealer dropped off.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Seems like a problem with the dealer if it is under warranty they need to send a real mechanic out or take it in to their shop and fix your problem. You may need to talk to someone a little higher up.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts