My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought a John Deere 5203 a month ago. It had 197 hrs when we bought it and now it has 222 hours. It has run like a top, but today it wouldn't start. My husband had added fuel on Saturday evening and then drove 50 yards to the barn. When we tried to crank it this evening it would not start. We keep thinking it has to have something to do with adding the fuel, but maybe not. He has added fuel several times before with no problem.

Any and all help appreciated.

DP Granny

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: after reading another thread my husband disconnected the thermostat sensor and replaced a blown flasher fuse and the tractor started.

Does this mean our sensor is bad?
What made the sensor go bad? After only 222 hours.

When he ohmed the disconnected sensor out it the circuit showed closed. He is wondering if it is normally open and that is why it is blowing fuses.

Any and all help appreciated.

Granny

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Granny

You found the problem as noted in the thread i had awhile back, $40 for something that the gubment wanted on it. I've had 2 other diesel tractors that didn't require the "CRAP" part.
Mine went out during cold weather & it started just fine, no blown fuses either.
WARNING, do not over tighten if you replace it, when it stops turning, that's all it needs, yes, i had to buy another one on account of that:banghead3

I'm curious as to whether it really neded to be replaced, normally i wouldn't be starting the tractor if the temps were below the mid 30's.

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Living down here in Texas if it were my tractor it would go to tractor grave yard without replacing that $40 part. IMHO JD engineers did some poor engineering on that part.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have read on other threads that the 5203 and 5303 run just fine without the part, and that yes it is only needed in really cold weather.

I agree with Ronnie and Tx why do we need it? We rarely get below freezing here in central Alabama. But we will probably replace it to be safe.

I am now wondering if is the part # RE503242 works for both the 5203 as it is for the 5303.

And.... I am still wondering why the thing so suddenly went bad only after 222 hrs. I sure hope we dont have to replace it ever 220 hours.

·
blinged out
1,348 Posts
A bad sensor should not blow fuses! I'd try pulling the fuse you replaced and try starting the tractor, I'm suspecting that fuse you replaced might be powering something other than the flashers, like a fuel solenoid!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
DonMac,
That is what my husband origianally said also.
But you will find similar threads on this forum and other forums where many others were having this exact same problem, and all have stopped blowing fuses after the sensor was either removed or replaced.

Now to be accurate the fuse box was kinda faded and hard to read. But my husband thinks it said "flashers"
Granny

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I think mine went out with a little over 300 hours on it, if it goes out again, it won't be replaced.

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
A bad sensor should not blow fuses! I'd try pulling the fuse you replaced and try starting the tractor, I'm suspecting that fuse you replaced might be powering something other than the flashers, like a fuel solenoid!
I can guarantee you the sensor will cause a fuse to blow. I've read too many threads about this plus it happened to my neighbors 5210. I think JD engineers aren't interested in correcting the problem either.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I also can guarantee this sensor can blow a fuse. I have replaced quite a few of them. They short out to ground. Some only short out when the engine warms up. The engine will start and run fine without it. When the weather is cold, it will probably smoke more during the warmup period. The sensor controls the pump timing advance for less smoke at startup. You might also notice a little more fuel used if you run alot without geting engine warmed up thoroughly. While this sensor probably has a higher than average failure rate, I have also seen some still working well with several thousand hours of service.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts