My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just looking for some input on which model to get.

Very little of my land is flat. Kids can get some good speed sleighing in the winter time to give you an idea. Just under 2 acres to mow.

I had a JD Lx145 V Twin Liquid Cooled 36" deck forever but with a small deck it just took too long.

My neighbor moved so we got his 20HP JD 120 with 48" deck. Grass got high as spring started to kick in and shooting it out the side I wound up with a lot of unsightly dead grass/thatch.

Last fall I went and got the Cyclone Rake. It did fine running around getting dry leaves on my land and my 2 neighbor's land (old WW2 Vets I help out, gratis).

However, I went away for a week and while it rained here the grass got high and heavy. I tried using the Cyclone rake to pick up the grass rather than throwing it. The JD L120 started to struggle going up the slope with a even a modest load in the Cyclone Rake.

I have a feeling the transmission may be giving up in the L120. It was a JD purchased by the former owner in Home Depot so I figure maybe it is a low end thing JD did to get in HD. I know I never had an issue with my LX145 I bought direct from a JD dealer.

So I need the JD to:
1. handle the slopes without scalping the law as all mowers prior did that to some extent
2. handle the Cyclone Rake I own
3. use a snow blade (I have a big walk behind snow blower so the blade would be for lighter snows)

I did an Excel spreadsheet on the features of all the 500 series and this is the key differences on the four columns on the 2009 models:

(A) X500/53X $5,899 MSRP; (B) X520/54X $6,659 MSRP ; (C) X534(4WS) $7,399 w/48" deck, $7,599 w/54" deck; (d) X540/54X $7,499 w/48" deck, $7,599 w/54" deck

(A) Base model from which I will highlight the difference the higher end versions have over the base

(B) 26 HP, Liquid Cooled Engine, Tires 24x12- 12HDAP

(C) 25 HP, Air cooled, weight bracket standard front-optional rear; Power 4 wheel steer, Tilt steering, 13 in uncut circle radius, hydraulic lift, No rotary tiller capability, turning radius 27, 16 in back seat

(D) 26HP . Liquid Cooled, weight bracket front & rear standard, Tires 24x12-12HDAP, turning radius 22, Power 2 wheel steer, 24 in. uncut turning radius, 16 in back seat, No power steer or hydraulic lift, Tiller capability.

Now, I won't be buying a 48" tiller ($2,400 at JD) but I could someday consider it and expand my back garden and some trails in my woodlot. Not sure if I should go up to the 54" deck.

So, would you give up tiller option for the 4WS deal?

I won't go to the 700 series but I can go to the highest in 500X

So, is this going to be able to haul heavy loads of grass in my cyclone rake as well as handle the hill better and reduce scalping????

The only 'extra' I may go for is the halogen headlight replacement for about $50.

I don't think I need the Xtra Deck ($1,000)

What do you x500 Series Owners suggest?

Thanks!

:greendr:

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Of those you mentioned I would go with the X540 & 54 deck. Have you thought about the older X400/X500 series. Those were the fore runners of todays X700 series. You can get a low hour X400/X500 and have more tractor for around or less money. Good luck. slkpk

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was in a similar quandry about 2 weeks ago. I had decided on the 500 series but couldn't decide between the X500 and X520. I didn't want 4 wheel steer since the 2 wheel steer models turn on a dime anyway.

I went to the dealer to price the X500, but with the HDAP tires (traction) and then I had him quote me the X520 as well. Well since the X520 already has the HDAP tires that brought them closer in price. I had them swap the 54 inch deck for a 48 inch on the X520 and it ended up being $300 more for the X520 over the X500. It was a no brainer for me at that point. I ordered the X520 and feel like I got the liquid cooled engine for a very small premium.

I'm also mowing a little over two acres with the X520 and my first mow was through knee high grass. The tractor never skipped a beat and left a beautiful lawn behind. I also think if you have any kind of hills you'd be a fool not to get the HDAP tires so be sure you factor that into your pricing. They grip like glue and get the job done with no slippage.

·
Super Moderator
16,325 Posts
AS slkpk suggested you may want to consider a older Used X400/X500 http://www.machinefinder.com/ww/en-US/category/used-lawn-and-garden-equipment and with the AWS options in the X400 series you would not Give up the tiller and you could even get the same 42inch Hydraulic tiller that they have for the X540 and you would not need to add a rear PTO to the X400/X500 series because the Hydraulic tiller on those series are run off the MID PTO all you would need is a 3point hitch added. The models to look for in the Older X400/X500 series
X465 air cooled
X465AWS air cooled
X475 liquid-cooled
X475AWS liquid-cooled
X485 Electronic fuel injection,liquid-cooled
X485AWS Electronic fuel injection, liquid-cooled
X495 Diesel,liquid-cooled
X495AWS Diesel,liquid-cooled
X575 4WD liquid-cooled
X585 4WD Electronic fuel injection,liquid-cooled
X595 4WD Diesel,liquid-cooled
Your Choice of Mowing Deck options 48inch,54inch & 62inch. Front attachments are Hydraulic lift and Hydraulic angle. 45loader capable on the Two wheel steer and 4WD models. You can get a X475 from $3,000 to $8,000 used and at $8,000 you talking with several Implement's or Attachment's. Hope this gives you some Idea on what's Used out there to Buy :thThumbsU

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought the x520 today, it will be here on Saturday. Only option I added was Halogen Headlights.:thanku:

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
I bought the x520 today, it will be here on Saturday. Only option I added was Halogen Headlights.:thanku:
:congrats: :congrats: don't forget to post some pics of the tractor when you get and enjoy it. slkpk

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:congrats: :congrats: don't forget to post some pics of the tractor when you get and enjoy it. slkpk
I need to post some pics and I will as soon as I can.

Man, talk about power and a beautiful cut!

It looks like a golf course out there after the first mow.

That thing can go fast to and with traction assist it took care of one little slope that I could not take on before.

The Halogen light were a good option too.

I'm happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:drunkie:

:greendr:

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Freedom Day

Well , freedom day!! Last payment on my (almost) new x520 went in the mail today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:drunkie: :drunkie: :greendr:

·
Registered
828 Posts
Re: Freedom Day

Well , freedom day!! Last payment on my (almost) new x520 went in the mail today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:drunkie: :drunkie: :greendr:
Thats always a good feeling! It is the reason I have not upgraded to a X740 yet cause it would be quite a while before I could say "last payment went in the mail today!"

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Freedom Day

Thats always a good feeling! It is the reason I have not upgraded to a X740 yet cause it would be quite a while before I could say "last payment went in the mail today!"
I know, I toook it to my limit and did not got for the 7xx but I'm happy with the x520

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Free and clear is a great thing! slkpk

·
9K+ Poster
12,160 Posts
Congrats on the burning of the tractor mortgage! :)

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Yeah but there old pics :Disgus:

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah but there old pics :Disgus:
Same machine just one year older, maybe I should throw it a Birthday Party?!:drunkie: :sidelaugh :sidelaugh :sidelaugh :thThumbsU

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Does your deck have that crappy weld too ??

Couple of pics showing how she's holding up would be nice!

Don't light candles for its birthday John Deeres blow up the candles not out :banghead3

1 - 20 of 22 Posts