My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So opened up the jd 50 blower and was glad I did. Removed the top and back shroud as well as removed the gear box... found more water than gear oil... chain looked great but nothing appeared to have been recently greased so I flushed out the gear box with gas and oil mix then added fresh 80/90. Hit all 6 zerks as well as lubes chain and sprockets and cable and pulleys....

Oh yeah and replaced the one hose that came broken.

Deffiently remove the gear box for service was only held in by 4 bolts and 1 pto to get out.

What are the row of bolts for in picture...?
What is the C shaped rod for? Has a spring and keeper/pin hole on it... picture shows it bent.. but I torched her and bent her back in alignment.

Another tip... the gear oil in the picture was an empty container I had around that I filled with the gas/oil mix to get into the gear box so I could flush out oil/water/milkshake...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
10,211 Posts
The row of bolts are spare shear bolts. JD used to slap them on their blowers somewhere, it was a nice feature.

·
10,211 Posts
Is the D handle used for aligning the blower to the hitch? Or is there a way to use it as a positive lock?

JD Parts lists it as a ‘stand’, must be for attaching the hitch to the blower.

·
Red Plaid is Timeless
921 Posts
It's a kick stand. Drop it down before you pull the pins and tip the blower off the "j" slots. Then it's setting at a good height to reattach. It almost looks like the stand is bent-it should be spring loaded into that hole for stowing. Something also doesn't seem right with the orientation of the tab with the hole. With the stand down (kind of vertical) with the blower at rest, the spring should hold the tab over the pin. I'm not sure I see the spring behind the frame.

I had trouble keeping gear lube in the gear box from weeping and switched to corn head grease to keep things tidy.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Grand,

I did bend it back so the spring worked with the rod end going into storage hole

Also seals seem good still but after this winter I'll double check and if they weep I'll rebuild entire box like I did with my 60in deck gearbox

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh boy,

Previous owner strikes again....

So got the blower and pto all hooked up and also got the power lift hooked up but that is the end of the good news. I have found out that the shoot hydro quick connects are the same size as lift connectors... however my 400 has 2 sets of different size ports on the front.. so does my front mount blade...

This is where I'm hoping other 400 owners can chime in... are the hydro points on the front of the 400 supposed to be 2 sets of 2 different size lines? Or should it be all the same size ports on the front end and on all attachments...

And what is the correct size I should have?

Not a day goes by that this old girl dosent show me the abuse she has went through and though i yell till high water at her I always come back to correct alittle more and more..

·
Red Plaid is Timeless
921 Posts
Yep, all ports the same size. IIRC they are Pioneer 4010-xx (1/4").

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gotta love previous owners... I guess ebay it is.

·
Red Plaid is Timeless
921 Posts
From the "lesson learned" department-pay attention to the "ball" and "poppet" style difference. I didn't and found that the ball style male end didn't depress the poppet style female enough and found really slow performance until I changed the male ends.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts