My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

So my 455 started shutting down on its own last year some time. It was very infrequent and I didn't know what was causing it. The switch under the seat was bypassed by previous owner. Validated that is not causing issues.

This year the shut downs are down right frequent and annoying. But I think I found the issue. When this happens I notice the fuel shut off solonoid is extended (fuel cut off) even tho the key is still on. Cycling the key resets and the tractor runs. Sometimes for a few hours...sometimes a few seconds.

I cleaned the plug on the solonoid as it was really crusty and dirty to no success, still cuts out when ever it pleases. Is there anything besides a faulty fuel cutoff solonoid that would cause the solonoid to extend itself/let go?

Nick

·
CalifornianGravelynator
4,330 Posts
worn wire might be grounding it out

·
MTF mile high club member
5,919 Posts
Next time it happens, leave everything exactly how it was and get off of the tractor; assuming the seat switch is still bypassed, unplug the solenoid lead and check for 12v; if you have 12v, then your solenoid probably needs to be replaced; if you don't have 12v, you need to start backtracking to figure out what is causing that. :fing32:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Next time it happens, leave everything exactly how it was and get off of the tractor; assuming the seat switch is still bypassed, unplug the solenoid lead and check for 12v; if you have 12v, then your solenoid probably needs to be replaced; if you don't have 12v, you need to start backtracking to figure out what is causing that. :fing32:

Roger that...

This got me to thinking. This reminds me of working on my dads commercial HVAC units at his one restaurants. The AC units would shut down because the electronic contacts would wear out and eventually not hold closed when energized. Very similar to the fuel cut off solonoid. I will test next time she shuts down, then I will see if I can unbutton the solonoid and take a peak in side. Maybe its contacts are weak/worn. In that case it will be obvious.

Nick

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So a little bit of time has passed since he machine shut down. Well this weekend the machined shut off a few times. Sometimes immediately after a restart. Here is what I noticed:

1) Voltage to the fuel shut off solonoid was reading .15v at both sides of the plug immediately after shut down.

2) When cycling the key off/on to reset the circuit the fuel pump sometimes was not running.

3) On several occasions, the machine would shut off right after it started, again no fuel pump on and solonoid extended.

I am starting to think the problem is not the fuel cutoff solonoid, but rather something further upstream. Perhaps a bad relay? I did some wire checks on the looms in the engine area and didn't see anything grounding out. I'll validate again once i have a free moment.

Assuming the wiring is good...where do I go from there? i am going to try and read the wiring diagrams....but for some reason I cant under stand them sometimes :(

Nick

·
certified tractor nut
1,424 Posts
Make sure your ignition switch is sending power to the appropriate places it can have the same issues with chant act wear

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Just John Deere
743 Posts
I had the same problem on one of my 455's. The fuel shut off solenoid and the fuel pump are fed off the same switch contacts. There are no relay contacts in the circuit. I had a bad switch that I could cause to fail just by bending the switch circuit board slightly.

Bottom line, I installed a new switch/ignition module and that fixed the problem

GotDeeres

1 - 8 of 8 Posts