My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend selling a 455 tractor 1995? with 500 hours. Tractor has FEL and 60inch mower deck, chains, weight box and home made drive way leveler. He paid 6000.00 two years ago and put 50 hours on it.

My concern is this. I borrowed it and I do not really need the bucket but it is nice option. Seemed weak for picking up heavy loads. I used the mower to mow some tall queen Anns lace. It laid it down and only cut the tops off. I had to follow it with my 30+ year old MTD which mowed it perfect. Even the stuff that was thicker it mowed with no problem. Why is that? I figured it would really cut that stuff.
I mainly need a 3 point hitch so this tractor would fit the bill. I have to grade my driveway frequently.

He did not set a price. Wants me to come up with the price. What should I offer him? How do I fix the blade issue. I do not want to buy that tractor if I have to mow with my old MTD.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
There is one fitting this description at a WI dealer for $4500. I posted a link in the for sale forum. 3 Point Hitch, PTO, and FEL.

I would guess his blades are as dull as butter knives. Replace them with Gator blades.

There may be a lockout valve when using the loader. Does the 3PH cycle as you use the loader? May also be air in the lines. Could be due for a transmission fluid and filter change.

If this is the same unit, $4500 is a steal.

·
Great Site Good People
6,659 Posts
I agree. 4500 is better than in the money! Like D-Dogg suggest I really like the way the Gator Blades mulch down the grass.:goodl:

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I would also say that is a great deal.. For those loaders, they set a limit to the amount they would lift fairly low... How heavy were you trying to lift? I'd say the limit is around 400lbs.

As for the mowing, did you look under the deck? Was it completely caked with dried clippings? I would say a clean deck and good blades as listed above and it would cut like a dream....

·
10,839 Posts
Pictures would help also. Just don't post a location on where its at, those don't come up for sale everyday with a loader.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Use your old MTD and save your money. slkpk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts