My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to buy this John Deere 445. What do you think is worth? I don't follow these a lot to know. Seller is a dealer and doesn't know if the cam gear has been changed. Runs and drives good.

1995 445
485 Hrs
60" DECK
22 HP KAW ENGINE
Tires are OK. Front & rears don't match.
One side panel has a broken latch.

Paint is OK, a little faded (5 or 6 out of 10). Would probably buff out pretty decent.

445.jpg

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
I saw one bring 2100 last week with a deck and around 800 hrs andthe seller no saled it if that helps.I thought the $2100 was enough for it frankly.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I looked at one a little rougher looking than that one at a JD dealer and they wouldn't come off $3,900. It did have a 3 month warranty. I felt like my offer of $2,750 was more than fair given the big unknown of the cam gear.

Gary, do you have any idea what that guy at the auction was expecting to get? Does that happen a lot where folks bring stuff to auction expecting to get a full retail price?

Anyway, back to the subject tractor, I'd probably go as much as $2,500-$2,750 in a private sale if I were in the market right now. It would all depend on condition.

·
10K and Climbin!
12,354 Posts
Anyway, back to the subject tractor, I'd probably go as much as $2,500-$2,750 in a private sale if I were in the market right now. It would all depend on condition.
So you think we can look @ a picture and tell you how much the thing's worth? I'd only go as the D-D-D-D-D-Dawg says on a used tractor unless there are records that the thing was properly maintained. The side cover latch is easily replaced as it is a spring loaded metal hinge. (Or is the side cover's plastic broken?) The plastic cam can be looked up if you have the serial# (Here's a thread for you to print out and take with you: http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=92098

The Kawi engines run smooth and the power of the tranny and power steering on these are plusses. Dig into the thing and look for any telltale signs of trouble like engine oil leaks or hydro line/valve/cylinder leaks. Smell the oil to be sure the rings aren't shot (like mine were but I had more hours.) These tractors have a lot of attachment possibilities as well. Ask yourself what is it you want/need to do with this thing? Will it fit your needs? Just some thoughts on a Tueday morning for ya.. :goodl:

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So you think we can look @ a picture and tell you how much the thing's worth?
Thanks. I was only asking to see what others had seen them sell for? I thought that was the purpose of the "What's it worth" section?

·
Registered
615 Posts
I'd probably offer him anywhere from 2900 to 2500. Like stated the cam gear is the big unknown here... But if it does go on you, its not to bad of a fix. So maybe offering something a little low would give you some extra cash for possible repairs. Other then that the 60 inch deck is preferred, and that is a very big plus if you ask me. And 485 hours is nothing for that tractor. Mine has 2252 (last check) And still ruinning strong, with just a little smoke on startup. That being said I have babbied my tractor when it comes to matenence and repairs. Most of the time you can tell how the guy treats his stuff based on his personality. And dont be afraid to ask a lot of questions about it if you go to look at it, you would be surprised how much you can turn up about a tractor just by talking to a guy for five or ten minutes. Best of luck!

·
10K and Climbin!
12,354 Posts
Thanks. I was only asking to see what others had seen them sell for? I thought that was the purpose of the "What's it worth" section?
OK esnb-.. Point taken.. :sorry1:

Ask the seller to get the serial# for you and you can check into the Cam issue before taking the trip. It's about ~$600 or so to get the cam rplaced if you want the peace of mind there.. (Parts cost ~ $300 if you do it yourself)

As the thing has such low hours I'd hazard a guess it won't be an issue for a long time.. Use that information as to the plastic cam to your advantage when you negotiate with the dealer. (unless it's a MTF site supporter!!) :hide:

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
Drake it was a Jockey fellow that brings lots of equipment to sales that had it so I don't know what he would have taken.I was the last final bidder on 4 tractors at that sale all of them were no saled but so it goes at auctions,always next time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts