My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All -
I have a 445 with an internet based homemade Front End Loader attachment mower deck and a rear PTO

The FEL works flawlessly.
Unfortunately, I can’t figure out how to raise the suitcase weights. I have however. somehow lowered them to where they now affect my departure angle in the rear. I have read the manual, but there is no reference to how to raise and lower the rear hydraulics.

any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
294 Posts
It's your top hydraulic control lever that controls that operation.

Otherwise you might have a lock-out valve installed under your left foot, behind the hydraulic fittings.

(When you say suitcase weights and rear hydraulic, I assume you have a 3pt hitch.)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - yes - the suitcase weights are hanging on a three point hitch. I don’t have a lockout valve installed. Something in my distant memory from my conversation with the original FEL builder reminds me that maybe I need one...
Is there a way to make the three point hitch be able to move without the lockout valve - I tried disconnecting the FEL hydraulic lines but it still wouldn’t go...

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmmm - maybe I do have a lockout valve - does this look normal? I went and looked at the hydraulic setup again. The knurled knob top right doesn’t want to turn easily, but would that be the lockout valve? I don’t want to try to turn it without knowing what it does... thanks guys!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven’t ever used it intentionally, but I am pretty sure I somehow have managed to lower it from where it used to be because the weights are way closer to the ground then they used to be... I am reasonably mechanically inclined, but I don’t have much tractor/hydraulic experience. I have figured out the rear lever that allows me to select center/rear/both for the PTO, and assumed it should be in both or rear position for the 3 point hitch...

·
Super Moderator
29,944 Posts
First Welcome to MTF Dave! Nice FEL you have there, as far as the suitcase weight are concerned you need to raise them then lock them in place. Here is a video of how to adjust that rear set of arms that hold the weights, it is on the same adjustment as the mower deck position control:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks a lot for this. I will have to play with things a bit... so, from watching this, the mower deck and the rear three point move together? So, the FEL works, or the mower/3 point depending on the position of the lockout valve? So ultimately, I actually use the FEL a lot when mowing, and seldom use the mower height adjust, so practically, I should just set the mower height, and get the 3 pt hitch in the right place, then lock them out...? I think.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Guys! Lockout worked to allow me to raise the weights... next order of business - battery light on intermittently and battery draining during use... no visible alternator?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks Guys! Lockout worked to allow me to raise the weights... next order of business - battery light on intermittently and battery draining during use... no visible alternator?
The 445 has a stator behind the flywheel. From what your describing it's possible that your voltage regulator is failing and not outputting enough voltage.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The lockout valve is much easier to turn if, with the engine OFF, you operate each hydraulic control lever forward and back to relieve pressure in the system.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Flannelman. And Itsagas.
Is there a straightforward way to locate/test the voltage regulator? I found a post on stator replacement that looks a bit above my threshhold if available time - but would like to confirm where the issue is before taking for service...

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Regulator appears to be in the control column, just above the cool little board with the two lights on it. Right side of tractor, just below the dashboard.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts